+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hypnobirthing techniques that helped YOU

Hi girls, i'm doing a hypnobirthing course by myself, got some mp3 off the internet and M Mongan book. While i like most of her techniques i'm wondering which most helped you? For example i want to skip one of the breathing techniques where you suppose to count to 20, i just can't do it! i likle calm breathing and counting to 20 stressing me out! (or not being able to get to 20 at all!))
    So would be good to hear some tips what helped you most?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did the same as you - no course, just the book and cd.

What really helped me was the sleep breathing, slow breathing and the affirmations.

The sleep breathing helped me to relax in the early stages. I couldn't breath that slowly for slow breathing so I ignored the counts and just tried to go as slow as I could, what really helped was trying to expand my tummy whilst doing this breath.

I was listening to the affirmations daily and was repeating them in my head during my labour and they really kept me going when times got tough....in the end I had the birth I wanted and a happy and healthy baby.

All the best with your birth
    Last edited by zzz; 02-04-2012 at 07:26. Reason: Edited due to posting too soon

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I read the book but couldn't attend a course. The thing that most helped me from the book was to not be scared of labour as it will trigger a fear-pain-fear-pain cycle. In conjunction with reading the book the other strategies I did to help me have an intervention free birth were:
    - read lots of normal bith stories and watch lots of normal births on you tube
    - get excited about labour and birth
    - count through each contraction, if a contraction lasts 30 seconds - if you count to 15 then it's all downhill from there so in my head I had effectively halved the contraction length.
    - each contraction was one step closer to meeting my baby
    - stay at home for as long as possible and use what ever techniques worked to get through (eg I sat on a swiss ball and rocked or just did deep breathing and focussed on the breath when things started to get a bit painful)
    - have an active labour
    - have absolute confidence in my body, be armed with information and/or questions if my care providers started to suggest intervention.

As it turned out I made it to the hospital with 35 minutes to go before DD came out and I had an intervention free birth that really only got painful in the last couple of hours.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (02-04-2012),Meegy  (14-06-2012),Wippy  (02-04-2012)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    subscribing to get some pointers. OP, I have also been researching hypnobabies which is another model of childbirth that focus on open eye/active hypnosis for birth. I haven't brought the home course yet, but if things continue well with pregnancy I will get it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subscribing. Very interested in this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had 2 awesome hypnobirths. First DD I was induced so it was a bit more challenging to work around the extra staff & constant monitoring but I did and we had a stress free & drug free birth. My second DD arrived in her own time and it was so pain free I was still waiting for transition when she popped out!
    I'm not a numbers person & hate counting. I know the theory that by practising the counting it will come naturally by the time you need it & you won't need to count but I hate numbers. I'm more of a words person so I focussed on affirmations and visualisations. I made my own affirmations that were more suitable for me eg I feel my indigestion leaving with the birth of my baby. I didn't do any deer in the rainforest, balloon, flower or ribbon visualisations, I did "cervix opening" and "baby coming out of my vagina" visualisations . I had the Mongan affirmations track on repeat both times and I think the midwives and my hubby could all feel their cervix softening by the time bubs was born!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks!!! Will try visualisation instead, it relaxes me more than counting anyway! I also downloaded some hypnobabies mp3s and actually find their voice more pleasant than M Mongan.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    The rose technique was great. Visualize the cervix as a tight rosebud which is going into bloom. Every contraction opens another petal of the rosebud cervix to create a beautiful, open rose in full blossom.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree on the sleep breathing. I used that for three hours before my c section for breech, and the only contraction that hurt was the one that broke my waters. I was 3cm at the hospital and barely felt any discomfort during the exam. I started off counting to 5 and then just settled into a rhythm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just had a really good labour, but unfortunately a lot of the hypnobirthing things that I had learnt just went out the window as labour progressed. I found hypnobirthing really good for the early stages as I didn't realize proper labour had even started until maybe two hours before I started pushing.
    i did a lot of relaxed nose breathing and concentrated on pushing my uterus out through the surges. It also really helped to concentrate on relaxing through the contractions. I wasn't very good at the visualisation though and found that I wanted to act out the opening of the cervix by clenching and unclenching my fists instead.
    i would really recommend concentrating on learning how to breath your baby down for birth, as I didn't spend enough time on this and did a lot of damage with the straining.
    hope you get an excellent birth and labour.