+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    earthfairy is offline Winner 2009 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    In Antarctica for 12 months.... I mean Tassie!!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Cool Playgroup Mums Will Judge Me! LOL

DD1 has an easter hunt/picnic thing on Wednesday & we need to bring a plate to share....

I love to bake, cakes, cookies, slice anything! But the thing is, we have just moved to Launceston & just started this playgroup & fear I will be judged by these mum's if I bring sweet stuff?

There's one mum there already who doesnt like me, and she is into the whole organic/preservative/additive free food for her kids..... I don't care that she doesn't like me... I just have no idea what to take....

If i take a fruit platter it could be like the 6th fruit platter on the table...
    So, do i take the dreaded fruit platter or go with something sweet for a treat?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EF x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't judge you...unless you didn't bring enough

Honestly though, if they don't want their child or themselves to eat it, then don't! Little bit of common sense really!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RunningWithScissors For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (30-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Can you make something like bliss balls (there are a million varieties), eg:

http://www.ambikayoga.com.au/nutty-bliss-balls

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What about savory muffins? Playschool made zucchini and corn ones today.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd bring all the sweet things then throw in a fruit salad and some little ham and cheese sandwich fingers (or wraps) or mini quiches if you like baking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by scotmum2be View Post
    What about savory muffins? Playschool made zucchini and corn ones today.

That's a great idea!

I did these once for my niece's kindy and everyone loved them! Small treat and parents can monitor how many their children eat:
    These cake pops are balls of cake mixed with icing and covered in a hard chocolate shell. They are great for parties and cute when you want something a little bit fancy.
    cake_pops_final.jpg

Ingredients:

• 1 box chocolate cake, prepared ( I used Betty Crocker Devils food cake)
    • 1 container Betty Crocker creamy deluxe frosting, chocolate
    • 1 bag (375g) white chocolate melts
    • Sprinkles of your choice
    • Lollypop sticks
    Method:

Cut the prepared cake in half and crumble by rubbing the two halves together.
    Pour in the creamy deluxe frosting and mix using a spoon.
    Line a baking tray with baking paper and form the balls by rolling a tablespoon full in your hands for your cake pops.
    Put the tray in the freezer for 20 minutes.
    To melt the chocolate, put a saucepan of water 1/3 full on the stove. Bring to the boil and melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over the water, ensuring that the water is not touching the bottom of the bowl. Turn off the heat but leave the bowl sitting over the hot water.
    Remove the cake balls from the freezer 10 at a time and push the lollypop stick about 1cm into the ball. Dip them into the chocolate and cover with sprinkles.
    Remove the next 10 cake balls and repeat until completed.
    Notes

• These are so sweet that you will only need one or two per person.
    • I purchased the lollypop sticks and a pieces of styrofoam from Spotlight to create a stand. I just covered this in foil so I could use it again at a later date.
    • You can change the flavour of frosting or the type of cake you use for something different.
    • I leave the chocolate sitting over the hot water to keep it liquid. It dries and sets quite quickly.
    • I originally saw these made using Wiltons candy melts for a coating but they are quite expensive and hard to source.
    • These pops are covered in Dollarsweets Fairy Dust (pink) and Jurassic Bitz (blue/green) which I purchased from the supermarket.
    • This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for *******, Australia's best recipe finder.
    Last edited by FirstTimeMummy2012; 30-03-2012 at 10:52.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FirstTimeMummy2012 For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (30-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Pfft it's Easter!

I don't let my son eat sweet things often (actually ever, its his Dad who does), I don't eat any sugar myself and am a wee bit obsessed with food.

BUT no way would I judge a mum for baking up a feast for Easter.
    Enjoy the picnic.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to peasmum For This Useful Post:

2BabyBears  (30-03-2012)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Pfft you're totally cool- she needs to remove her head from her sphincter if she can't see that!

However, what about a low fat, low sugar muffin? Or a fruit cake?

Or, (my second post of the day and I'm talking about this *again*) cobb loaf? My kids and their cousins go nuts for a nice cobb loaf dip (seriously my 2 year old nephew attacks it with a spoon) and there are some great recipes to try! My fav is a bacon corn and spring onion one, but my sister does a spinach one, which may somewhat appease crazy lady?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd say bugger them, obviously there are going to be healthy options there.... Once again it's Easter make something sweet and enjoy cooking it :-) put strawberries with it and bam you've met halfway ha ha
    I'm not an unhealthy person and I don't agree with kids drinking soft drink and cordial and eating chocolate everyday, but on special occasions I'm like you love baking .... So I'll bake and people love my food therefore they forget to judge :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd make whatever I wanted. Home made sweet stuff is healthier than heavily processed sweet stuff anyway and its Easter! The time of the year where treats are socially acceptable!

People will always find a reason not to like you if they want to. Their loss if they're like that.

Bake what you enjoy, go and have fun. Fun's infectious. They're bound to like you.