+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Can you recommend a *great* lactation consultant? (Australia wide)

Hello, this is not for me, but because (due to my business) I've spent hours on the phone in the past few days with women who are distraught about breastfeeding issues, I would love to have a database of supportive lactation consultants to refer people on to.

I don't want to just randomly refer them to a name on a list because of horror stories I've heard.

Hoping to avoid:

- anyone who treats breastfeding like a science experiment (ie tlels you to pump 10 mins then hand express 10 mins every 2 hours on the dot then whatever x put your left foot in and your left foot out type stuff that is just not realistic)

- anyone who makes women feel small or inadequate

Hoping to find lactation consultants who:

- have more of a no fuss approach premised on the supply demand principle and feed, feed, feed

- won't stress women out!

Please tell me your success stories and good experiences!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Simone Casey in Victoria is awesome and just get her IBCLC accreditation. She writes a blog that is on the ABA website
    Last edited by Bubbles10; 30-03-2012 at 11:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm going to use Pinky McKay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used Lynne Hall in Sydney and had a wonderful experience with her - I recommend her to everyone. She is very much in line with Pinky McKay - pro demand feeding, etc. My baby had trouble latching so she recommended nipple shields - to the horror of the midwives on my ward, but with them my daughter was able to latch and we weaned off them after a few weeks. I won't go into what a nightmare the hospital's LC was, but Lynne was so gentle and got everything sorted right away.

I also feel that she is extremely balanced and has a really practical approach. I am Bipolar and knew that if I started struggling with the sleep deprivation that the occasional formula feed at night might keep me sane - she was completely supportive and not at all militant. She understood that keeping my mood steady was more likely to result in my breastfeeding for longer so if that meant some nighttime supplementing than it might be the best choice for me and my baby.

Good luck!