+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Unfortunately I couldn't sit in the back of the car with her because there are 2 car seats and DS had to come with us as well (so I couldn't take the other seat out). The gap between them is only a few centimetres.

It was a tough decision and I don't know if we did the right thing. We phoned for an ambulance but not 000, we phoned the non-emergency number. I went with her in the ambulance and DF and DS followed in the car. I felt really bad because I know it wasn't life threatening, we just didn't see any other alternative. Ever time she vomitted if she wasn't being held forward she wouldn't clear it all out. She also just wanted to be held as she was very tired, extremely pale and very listless. That's why we hesitated about putting her in her car seat.

I've only ever phoned an ambo once before when I walked past a man in the City who keeled over and collapsed at a bus stop - he was unconscious. I phoned for the ambos whilst other people attended to him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would probably only semi restrain her or free her arms from the seat or prop her up or whatever in the seat. Or, if necessary, unrestrained.

I don't think there's any wrong answer in a situation that seems urgent though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes you definitely did the right thing by calling an ambulance. I have just read this to my dp, he is an emergency nurse, and he does not understand some of the responses. This could have been life threatening, your little one had been vomiting for hours, she would have depleted most of her reserves and she would have been deteriorating rapidly.
    If there is ANY doubt, always call an ambulance as a car doesn't have the equipment to initiate treatment, if needed, on the way to the hospital.
    I hope your little one is recovering well.
    Last edited by Callian; 30-03-2012 at 11:15. Reason: spelling

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Callian For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (30-03-2012),kriista  (30-03-2012),MissMuppet  (30-03-2012),SimplyMum  (30-03-2012),smallpotatoes  (01-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I would of had no option but to call an ambulance. I have had the after hours doctors out at my place a few months ago for my foot and he suggested calling an ambulance to get to the hospital so i did that as i had no other way to get there.

The ambulance officers will access the situation and let you know whether to go to hospy or not.

I think you did the right thing.

Cant believe she is 15mths bec. Wow time flies.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    If my child had been vomiting every 15 minutes for hours i would have called an ambulance - that is quite extreme vomiting and dehydration is a big concern, especially with very young kids.
    I wouldn't call an ambulance if my child had just been normal vomiting but in this case i think it a good enough reason to call an ambulance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you did the right thing. People don't realise how dangerous and life threatening vomiting/dehydration can be to little people. We took DS (5) to the hospital last week after he had vomited for a couple of days and hadn't been able to keep anything down. He went all listless all of a sudden and couldn't get up off the bed....it is really scary when that happens! We were able to drive him to hospital ourselves, but if I had been alone with him and DD I think I would have called the ambulance as he just didn't look right at all and I hate to think what could have happened if he had been in his booster on the way to hospital without another adult to help him.

It doesn't take much vomiting to make a 15 month old severely dehydrated, so yeah, can become life threatening.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Thanks so much for the responses. I apologised over and over to the ambo man because it wasn't a life threatening emergency
    The poor little thing was so listless that she could barely move. She was taking some comfort from being in our arms so that was another reason why I was reluctant to put her in her car seat. I'm still not 100% comfortable with phoning the ambos but a large part of me couldn't bare her to be out my arms (or DF's arms) whilst she was so sick. She was vomitting up bile and dry retching. She couldn't even hold down breastmilk or hydralyte and ended up with an IV drip and stayed in hospital overnight. She's much better now although still not 100% but she's been running around this morning and actually eaten some food today.

missybubble is offline I'm a strange one, but I'm good at it :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would've called the ambulance too. How scary for you, am glad she's getting better

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD did the same thing when she was 3 months. I hadn't seen her all afternoon as I was a bridesmaid and when my DP got to the reception with her (she had only vomitted once before he got there) she was so pale and unresponsive then kept throwing up bile and gagging. The hospital was 5 minutes around the corner so I had her in my arms. I couldn't bare seeing her that way and wasn't letting her go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i would never have my child out of their car seat in the car. friends of friends have a teenager who is a quadriplegic as his mother pulled him out of his car seat as a baby when he was crying in distress. dad was driving, distracted by all of what was happening and crashed - same could happen if driver was distracted when your DD started vomiting. imagine explaining to your paralysed kid that she is tht way for life because you were worried she "might" choke on her vomit. saddest story i have ever heard.
    if a one day old baby doesnt choke on its vomit, a 15 month old can cope!!! lets be realistic here.
    if there was any situation where my child couldnt go in a car seat then i woud call an ambulance, people call them for absolutely stupid reasons all the time, and obviously they judge wait times based on severity anyway. but obviously i would hope to only do so if absolutely necessary.
    Last edited by mum2one99; 30-03-2012 at 14:01. Reason: sp.