+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Terrified of the bath...

DD who is 14 months has gone from racing to the bathroom squealing with excitement about hopping in....to clinging to me terrified and screaming in fear when she is put in the water.
    DH told me that the other day when he was bathing them he took the plug out first and her foot got caught in the suction of the water.. It has obviously scared her a lot and I'm devastated that bath time has turned into this.
    It's only me at home during the week so I don't really have the means to get in when I have so much else going on.
    Any tips? Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have no experience, but maybe...

Bath crayons
    Bubbles (covering the plug)
    Colouring the water
    Some bath toys
    Getting her to put the plug in
    Story
    Having a bath with her for a few nights...

Hope she starts enjoying bath time again soon and it's not too hard on you...

ETA: just read you can't get in with her (would she shower with you)?

Thanks
    Reviews
    playing with fabourite toys/eating a favourite treat in the bath tub whilst it has no water, progressing to her being cleaned with wet flannel (bath still empty), then slowly trying to add water if she tolerates that after a week or so. i woudmt push bathing if she is scared of it, im sure a wet flannel can do the job for a little while till she likes baths again. or would she "bath" temporarily in one of those shell sandpit/water things that have no plugs (or a baby bath) and transition her back when she is no longer scared. pain to fill up with warm water tho....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD7 was 2yo when she got frightened of the bath.

I spent 6 months giving her sponge baths whilst standing next to the bathtub with DD6 in the bath. Eventually she started to lean over and play with the toys whilst standing outside the bathtub, but still would not accept going in.

Eventually I bit the bullet and started putting her in the bath and bathing her screaming. Then DD3 introduced her to showers. After a month of happily having a shower (with the plug in) she grew accustomed to a bath again.

PS: The culprit that scared her of the bath in the first place is when she got covered in nail polish (primarily over her hair and face) and we had to hold her down to scrub it off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great ideas. Thanks so much. I'll give it up for now and just shower/sponge/shell pool etc..
    So sad!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our 22 month old is doing this- not sure why but tonight when I hopped in the bath she played for ages otherwise I just shower her or stand her in the bath and wash her with a flannel. Sooooo frustrating as it used to be our favourite time of day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS1 went through the same thing - my friend bathed him at her place and took the plug out and it was really noisy.... I just showered him for about a year - then when I had bub and when DS2 went in the bath DS1 was happy to

Soooo my only solution is to have another bub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, one thing that had her happily getting in the bath was for me to get in and have her wash me. I still wasn't allowed to wash her in the bath, but she got in, sat in the water, and used a sponge to scrub me down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you get one of those hand held shower things that fit over the tap so you can shower her in the bath? She can then hold the shower herself and help rinse herself off still invite bath but not have a bath as such.

I found having a proper shower somewhat difficult as my DSs didn't like water in their faces so the hand held shower allowed control as to where the water went.