+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My Inlaws live right next door ... she has been a chain smoker for decades - the house absolutely STINKS and we can't have any windows open on that side of the house purely for the putridness that wafts through. She has been told she will go blind and needs and operation and to give up the ciggies - but in her mind - it's easier for her to go blind than give up the ciggies.

It was made quite clear by her son that there would be absolutely no smoking in our house or around our children - so she chooses not to come over. She chooses to bellow over the fence at her son and her grandchild (I'm due in another week with bubs number 2) with the ciggie hanging out of her mouth.

There is no point in asking her to change clothes - the house is so backed up with years of cigarette smoke that it's just engrained in everything.

I guess I'm lucky that none of my friends or other relatives smoke so haven't had to deal with it but I have held other people's babies whos parents are smokers and can't help but gag.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't have any friends or family that smoke anymore. We have a no smoking at our house rule. If anyone is at our home that needs to smoke they can go out in the street. Simple.

It has been years since anyone has smoked at our home. Years ago my cousin (who I rarely see) lit up in our yard (was my Pop's 90th birthday), my DH asked her to go out by the street..it didn't go down too well and she hasn't been back

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mil is the only one who smokes that we see regularly. She changes into fresh clothes/has a shower before she comes over. And she's isn't allowed to smoke the whole time shes over or with us. Occasionally if she has been over all day she will duck out the front when she's ready to go home and have a smoke while she waits for sil. I am hugely anti smoking due to losing my best friend to smoking related cancer when we were 16 (and she had never smoked a day in her life) and thankfully at the hospital when i had ds they warned my df about the dangers of smoking as he thought I was just being a ***** to him mum lol. If we are out seeing friend who happen to smoke, they all know my stand too. If they have a smoke, they don't come near my son again
    I also can't stand having to inhale stale smoke from someone's clothes so wouldn't want ds to have to either

Thanks
    Reviews
    Simple, do not smoke anywhere near my children.

We go back to Europe to visit our parents every year and my mother is a chain smoker, I have told her if she smokes near the kids she will not get to see them. She has a smoking room in her house for when we are there but when we go out she smokes everywhere, she justifys it by saying its her house....

She has been to our house once here and was given a smoking area away from the house. She didn't like it. I doubt she will come to Australia again as everywhere here is more anti smoking, ie beach, shopping centre car parks etc.

DH and I detest smoking. I hate my mother for smoking. I find smokers in general to be extremely selfish about their habit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yep, not in the house & no where near the house. Wash your hands & change your shirt after when the kids were little.
    Now they're almost 3, if they can smell smoke they won't go near it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've told dad he better quit before DD arrives! If not he better not smell like an ashtray when he visits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my sister won't let me hold her baby son if I have been smoking or smell like smoke. Before I visit I make sure I either havent had a smoke, but if I have, I shower, wash hands, brush my teeth or spray my mouth with breath spray and change my clothes. I respect her reasoning for this.
    As for my kids, I smoke outside and being pregnant, although bad (I know, please don't judge) I've cut down A LOT and trying to occupy myself instead of smoking. Seems to be working and I hope by the time I have baby, I've stopped

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dragonia For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (30-03-2012),mumof3monkeys  (30-03-2012),MyLittleLilacTree  (30-03-2012),Niki24  (30-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies! It's nice to know I'm not the "crazy" overbearing mother my MIL is making me out to be. We live with my parents and they, and my grandparents haven't once questioned our beliefs on smoking. They just accept that we're the parents and that holding their grandaughter is ten times more important than a cigarette; which I'm glad for. My mother (who sees DD everyday) has a smoking dressing gown, washes her hands and brushes her teeth before holding DD.

But my cow of a MIL (see other posts lol) has stated if we make her brush her teeth after smoking she'll refuse to hold our daughter. I think she doesn't like the idea of me telling her what to do. But it's the same rules for everyone and no-one else seems to mind. She puts my daughters hands into MIL's mouth after she's had a smoke and I almost vomit in my mouth. DD wants to eat her hands whenever possible so the thought of her eating all those filthy chemicals makes me feel physically sick. But MIL thinks it's "a load of ****" because she smoked around her children and "they're perfectly fine". Nice to know I'm not nuts and being too protective; not that I think there is such a thing!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    There have been new studies conducted and 3rd hand smoke (residue left on hair, clothes etc) is almost as bad as second hand (passive smoke). My gp told me that you would have to get fully changed and have a shower and wash hair in order for it to be 100% safe to hold children after a cigarette. I was shocked coz we have family that smoke as well!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it was up to me no smokers would touch my children. I gave up smoking before I feel pregnant for my children's safety and I hate when smokers touch my kids. No one is allowed to smoke in my house and around my children outside.