+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What are your "smoking rules" with relatives and your children??

Just wondering what other parents have enforced in regards to smokers and their children? I.e. hand washing? Smokers jacket? Teeth brushing etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MyLittleLilacTree View Post
    Just wondering what other parents have enforced in regards to smokers and their children? I.e. hand washing? Smokers jacket? Teeth brushing etc?
    I haven't enforced anything but would like to! DH is a smoker and will always wash his hands and I've asked him to change clothes too. But I haven't asked else but I really want to ask people to wash their hands just haven't known how to... There haven't been many but each time I notice my stomach turn a bit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't got any 'rules' as such. Most of the people I am close to who smoke already wash their hands before touching bubs... Some would change their clothes and brush their teeth when my kids were newborns.... But it's not something I ever insisted on......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    none really.....dh smokes (outside) but if he comes in absolutely reeking of ciggie smoke i ask him to go brush his teeth or have a shower.
    if i made him change clothes, shower, teeth etc. every time he came near the baby he would spend more time in the bathroom than actually WITH the baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Smoking away/outside from the kids as both grandparents are chain smokers! We don't smoke and smoking and kids are my pet hate!!!

I hate it when I am pregnant too around me and baby? I hate it so rude and wrong if I wanted to smoke I would and they think they can just smoke wherever they want and don't give u are choice/right in doing so!!

When bubs is born I don't want it around him at all defiantly away from him and wash their hands and teeth and spare top to change into if they smoke while visiting him my rules simple I already have a daughter with asthma!

Everyone should have a right to a smoke free life if we choose to, smokers don't allow that they force u too either walk away or get into ***** fights about vent over

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Never needed rules. My cousin smokes but she lives 18 hours (by car) away. When she visits, she doesn't smoke directly before visiting or while here. None of my other friends/family smoke.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a quite personal experience with the affects smoking can cause in young children. My 4year old cousin passed away in 2008, her death wasn't a direct result of all the smoking her mother did whilst pregnant, or all the passive smoke she inhaled, but it played a huge factor. My cousin was born ay 38wks, she was a little over 2lb and very sick, she was getting close to no nutrients as all the smoking had completely ruined the umblical cord. My cousin had bad asthma and a low immune system, when she passed away she had amonia and a rare diesase attacked her heart. I should add that it was sudden, we were having a party and my cousin had what we thought was a cold, but we decided to call the home doctor, the doctor found fluid on her lungs and she went to hospital, she died a few short hours later.
    Because of what has happened I will not allow smokers or smoking near my children. I'm lucky that none of myfamily smoke(except my aunty), my nana gave up last year, she had been smoking for 50years, before she gave up, we didnt visit often, when I did we would play outside as her house reaked of cigarettes. My aunty still smokes, she doesn't smoke around my kids though. If I have friends over that smoke, they smoke out side, and I will ask that they wash there hands if they want to have a cuddle with my kids, I am probably just paranoid but seeing the affects passive smoking can have has really hit home.
    Last edited by Littlemissmetal; 29-03-2012 at 22:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Milktini.

My Dad is the only person I know who smokes, he doesn't smoke around DS and we don't visit his house because it just stinks of smoke, I truly HATE that he is still smoking.
    I ask that he wash his hands before holding DS, he works away so only sees him once every 3 weeks for about an hour and DS isn't the type of baby who enjoys being held by other people so it hasn't stressed me out too much.

I did have to ask him not smoke while I was in the car and 7 months pregnant though which shocked me, he still seems a little blind to the effects of second hand smoke.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Milktini View Post
    I have a quite personal experience with the affects smoking can cause in young children. My 4year old cousin passed away in 2008, her death wasn't a direct result of all the smoking her mother did whilst pregnant, or all the passive smoke she inhaled, but it played a huge factor. My cousin was born ay 38wks, she was a little over 2lb and very sick, she was getting close to no nutrients as all the smoking had completely ruined the umblical cord. My cousin had bad asthma and a low immune system, when she passed away she had amonia and a rare diesase attacked her heart. I should add that it was sudden, we were having a party and my cousin had what we thought was a cold, but we decided to call the home doctor, the doctor found fluid on her lungs and she went to hospital, she died a few short hours later.
    Because of what has happened I will not allow smokers or smoking near my children. I'm lucky that none of myfamily smoke(except my aunty), my nana gave up last year, she had been smoking for 50years, before she gave up, we didnt visit often, when I did we would play outside as her house reaked of cigarettes. My aunty still smokes, she doesn't smoke around my kids though. If I have friends over that smoke, they smoke out side, and I will ask that they wash there hands if they want to have a cuddle with my kids, I am probably just paranoid but seeing the affects passive smoking can have has really hit home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    None of our friends here smoke and we live many miles away from MIL and my dad who do. Both whom smoke inside. They both make an effort not to when we visit. I just can't stand it, the smell of cigarette, the smokers breat and the stink on your clothing and body makes me want to vomit. There is no way I could be married to a smoker. I cannot even stand walking behind a smoker. Really wish they would make it illegal!