+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I do agree, but when it comes to school... bullying is defined as repeated behaviour
    I see you point.
    Sad world when you have to be picked on more than once to have anyone think you're worth standing up for .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    It's bullying by exclusion and not on! I don't understand how a parent could condone that behaviour?
    This

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    I see you point.
    Sad world when you have to be picked on more than once to have anyone think you're worth standing up for .
    No, it's just that offensive behaviour is treated different than bullying.

If any child gets hit, picked on, singled out, excluded etc then the school has one process to deal with it, if theres a reptative element it's then classified as bullying and there a different process to deal with it

In the instance of the op, then it's exclusion and offensive and it should be stopped.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

babyla  (29-03-2012),misskittyfantastico  (29-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    I am NOT trying to be a smart alec, but the Merriam-Webster dictionary has this to say:

bul·lied
    bul·ly·ing
    Definition of BULLY

transitive verb
    : to treat abusively

: to affect by means of force or coercion

Nowhere does it say that an incident caused by a bully has to be repeated to be defined as such.
    It is bullying behaviour, whether it's the 1st time or the 50th.

We don't know if this child has acted like this before or will again.
    All we can look at is the behaviour itself. Did the child act abusively? Exclusion can certainly be emotional abuse and in this case it was clearly intended to cause exactly that. Ergo, this child behaved in a bullying manner.

I can walk up to someone I've never met and say "You're an effing jerk and you should take a long walk of a short plank if you don't agree with my point of view!" and never say a word to them again. Because it's an isolated incidence, that doesn't mean it isn't bullying behaviour.
    Agreed it is bullying behavior but bullying does have a pattern of repeated behaviours, this does not mean that an isolated incident is any less upsetting. If you were to do that you have displayed bullying behavior but you are not bullying that person.
    Check out www.bullyingnoway.gov.au

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It sounds like an example of how girls bully. It may be a one off, but I would suspect that there have been other instances of rejecting behaviour by this girl to the other child. Maybe not, but quite possibly.

The subtle and insidious nature of bullying by girls can make it hard to detect and address, sadly for the child being bullied.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ABigDeepBreath For This Useful Post:

babyla  (29-03-2012),delirium  (29-03-2012),misskittyfantastico  (29-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ABigDeepBreath View Post
    It sounds like an example of how girls bully. It may be a one off, but I would suspect that there have been other instances of rejecting behaviour by this girl to the other child. Maybe not, but quite possibly.

The subtle and insidious nature of bullying by girls can make it hard to detect and address, sadly for the child being victimized.
    Agree 100%

Thanks
    Reviews
    As well as addressing this with girl who has done the excluding, it would be great if the teacher could do some work with the whole class on appropriate social and friendly behaviour to help create an atmosphere where exclusion isn't tolerated.

OffwiththePixies is offline I'm Jaz, and I'm off with the pixies all the time!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Poor child That really breaks my heart - that poor little one must have felt so hurt and embarrassed and upset

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a teacher of upper primary students and I think that is a classic example of passive bullying. What a revolting child and the teacher should be condemned for allowing that to happen under her own nose. I would be devastated if that happened in my class or to my child.

No place for presents or invites in the classroom.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bullying is not treated as a repetitive behaviour in any school I have taught at. It is simply being mean or violent to another student. We nip these things in the bud at the first instance not once it is repeated and out of control.