+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Becks23 is offline thank you for a house full of people I love. Amen
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default First time prac. For those studying primary education

Hi all, I'm studying part time Bed primary and have my first prac in a few weeks. I am very nervous and excited and dreading being away from the kids all day for a week (yes its not that long but I usually only leave them for a few hours at a time). I'm also now worried that I am not smart enough to do this job.
    How did everyone else go? What did you do on your first prac? Any advice to calm nerves?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the eclectic mummy View Post
    Hi all, I'm studying part time Bed primary and have my first prac in a few weeks. I am very nervous and excited and dreading being away from the kids all day for a week (yes its not that long but I usually only leave them for a few hours at a time). I'm also now worried that I am not smart enough to do this job.
    How did everyone else go? What did you do on your first prac? Any advice to calm nerves?
    That's great! I remember having the same feelings many years ago on my first prac. The best advice I can give is watch closely, reflect, reflect reflect at the end of each day - what worked well, what would you have done differently to the teacher (you should not feel that your style will be the same as your mentor), be friendly to all people you come in contact with and ask for feedback - accept the feedback and use it positively to make changes where required. But mostly work out if you think it's for you and if it is enjoy!!!
    Good luck

Becks23 is offline thank you for a house full of people I love. Amen
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you babyla its just those nasty nerves getting to me I guess. I really enjoy the classes and want to do this I just have self-esteem issues at the moment.
    Does it get easier lol?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the eclectic mummy View Post
    Thank you babyla its just those nasty nerves getting to me I guess. I really enjoy the classes and want to do this I just have self-esteem issues at the moment.
    Does it get easier lol?
    Yes it does! It also means you take pride in what you're doing so not necessarily a bad thing. Each day you'll become more confident but it is a roller coaster at times too. Teaching is a craft which I believe is built over many years and you never stop working at it, so don't feel you need to have it all sorted. Focus on something you'd like to work on with your mentor and build on it each day. I'm sure you'll be great!! Feel free to pm during your prac week if you like

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Becks23  (29-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my first prac week in july....i am excited and terrified lol

i've made dh take week off so bub not in daycare ...but will miss her so much!

cannot wait to hear how you go!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Becks23  (29-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I remember feeling the EXACT same way before my first prac, op. I thought, 'I can't teach! I don't know what I'm doing!' But it did get better before each prac... By the 2nd one, I still felt out of my depth, but by the last one, I felt like I just wanted.to be out there teaching my own class, I wanted to take the prac class as much as I could, but I felt so ready to have my own class and be a fully fledged teacher. I agree with pp - observe EVERYTHING, take what u like, leave what u don't, photocopy anything u can get your hands on, accept any advice, and ask for input from your mentor about your teaching. Good luck!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

Becks23  (29-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Another thing I thought of... Your mentor teacher may be a really bad example of the teaching profession. My first prac teacher HATED her job, and she really shouldn't have been a teacher. The kids ran absolutely wild, and she saw herself as a babysitter. I felt really discouraged about teaching, & I thought, if this is what teaching is about - I don't want a bar of it! I learned nothing from her except what not to do. But my other prac teachers were all really brilliant! So if it doesn't turn out how you expected, don't lose heart... you will hopefully get someone better next time! But fingers crossed, you will get a great teacher

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

Becks23  (07-04-2012)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I HATED prac during my first year! My supervising teacher wasn't altogether too lovely, and I felt as though she was just waiting for me to make a mistake.
    I didn't really feel relaxed in prac until 3rd year

Now of course I don't care who comes into my classroom... and just the other day I was wishing I could HAVE a student want to come to my little school, because I'd sure be a better mentor than the ones I had (my last one was a pretty new teacher, who had JUST broken up with her long term boyfriend and was an emotional wreck. I spent 3 weeks being her shoulder to cry on.. every time we had APT she would break down in tears and I didn't learn much with her at all... the poor thing, I really wish she had of told her prin she was in no state to be taking on a student teacher!)
    Not everyone is as shy around strangers as I was when I was a student teacher though, so I wish you all the very best!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Becks23  (29-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Another thing I thought of... Your mentor teacher may be a really bad example of the teaching profession. My first prac teacher HATED her job, and she really shouldn't have been a teacher. The kids ran absolutely wild, and she saw herself as a babysitter. I felt really discouraged about teaching, & I thought, if this is what teaching is about - I don't want a bar of it! I learned nothing from her except what not to do. But my other prac teachers were all really brilliant! So if it doesn't turn out how you expected, don't lose heart... you will hopefully get someone better next time! But fingers crossed, you will get a great teacher
    Such good advice!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    I HATED prac during my first year! My supervising teacher wasn't altogether too lovely, and I felt as though she was just waiting for me to make a mistake.
    I didn't really feel relaxed in prac until 3rd year

Now of course I don't care who comes into my classroom... and just the other day I was wishing I could HAVE a student want to come to my little school, because I'd sure be a better mentor than the ones I had (my last one was a pretty new teacher, who had JUST broken up with her long term boyfriend and was an emotional wreck. I spent 3 weeks being her shoulder to cry on.. every time we had APT she would break down in tears and I didn't learn much with her at all... the poor thing, I really wish she had of told her prin she was in no state to be taking on a student teacher!)
    Not everyone is as shy around strangers as I was when I was a student teacher though, so I wish you all the very best!
    Oh gawd!! What a way to spend your prac! Agreed some teachers should not be teaching let alone mentoring new teachers.