+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is there a history of mental health issues? I'm not being "catty", just wondering because I've heard of this happening before due to mental health

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very interesting indeed! Good luck finding your answers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had thought of something like this but I would have thought that her details wouldn't have changed as much especially the year of birth.
    The only family history I can find is her youngest aunt on her fathers side actually died in a "mental institution" (sorry I cant think of the correct term) in Ballarat at the age of 48. I can't find the reason why she was in there though. Apart from my mother having some "controlling" issues I can't say there is a family history of mental health issues. I would never have thought her to have a mental health problem, and I knew her very well. It does not mean that this didn't happen though. I am going to have a look for some hospital records.

Also late last night I had a look at the adoption register and there is a birth record there that would fit the dates she vanished especially if she was in the early stages of pregnancy. It is the right area and the first name was known (Jean) but they did not have a surname. I know it's a long shot but it may be her???
    Last edited by Ready To Run; 30-03-2012 at 14:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did wonder if it would have been around back then??? I am just thinking that because her details had changed so much that it could be a possibility and there is just no trace of her after she left her family that day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Did her first husband apply for a divorce? It may provide some info.
    No he never did so legally her second marriage never existed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Witness protection in the States wasn't established til 1970.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...ection_Program
    There is no way Australia was 20 yrs ahead of the US in developing these kind of rights.

How do you know they were in love (Her and her first husband)? Maybe she'd fallen out of love and he was angry with her? maybe he was abusive behind closed doors? Maybe she was manipulated into marrying in the first place? People weren't so different then to what they are now. These would be reasons a woman might change her identity these days. The only difference now is that a woman would be supported to take her kids with her, rather than feeling forced to leave them behind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy in the Sky View Post
    Witness protection in the States wasn't established til 1970.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...ection_Program
    There is no way Australia was 20 yrs ahead of the US in developing these kind of rights.

How do you know they were in love (Her and her first husband)? Maybe she'd fallen out of love and he was angry with her? maybe he was abusive behind closed doors? Maybe she was manipulated into marrying in the first place? People weren't so different then to what they are now. These would be reasons a woman might change her identity these days. The only difference now is that a woman would be supported to take her kids with her, rather than feeling forced to leave them behind.

Thankyou, now I know that is not an option of what happened to her.

I only know what her sister's told me, they grew up together and seemed very in love that is why it all was such a shock to them. He never remarried or had another relationship after she left.

Growing up I remember she only had 4 photographs (must have been all she took when she left) They were a photo of her parents and all the children, A family photo with what seemed to be extended family (probably about 35 people in the photo) im guessing aunts, uncles, cousins etc..., a photo of her brother who died in korea and one of her (I have seen her wedding photo and I now know this was her on her wedding day - she always told us it was at her sisters wedding where she was a bridesmaid). I wonder why she would have kept that particular photo???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Despite what everyone has said to you, it is possible she ran away with the circus so to speak.

May have had a controlling husband & wanted to get out. Remember centerlink didn't exist & woman's refuges were few & far between.

You never knew what happens behind closed doors.

Weve had plenty of long list relative join the 'circus'.

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    From what you have described I would take a guess that she was pregnant when she left, possibly either to another man or to her husband and he didn't want it. I would follow up the adoption lead, from there you may be able to find a forwarding address or next of kin.

If she left under shame and guilt, it would make sense that she the moved on and tried to start her life afresh.

The other thing to consider, as a PP suggested, could she have been in an institution or possibly incarcerated? Both could be good reasons for leaving without a trace and changing identity after. Her husband may have never been truthful with the kids to protect the family.

Another great source of knowledge is to track down a cousin... Especially a gossipy one, think the black sheep of the family who has nothing lose by telling secrets!!!

Hope you get some answers, it sounds very mysterious!