+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Toddler playing computer games big fat parenting fail?

My just turning 2 year old has just learnt how to play ABC3 on the laptop. She can move the curser and press on the buttons she wants and loves doing it. Now we thought
    this was very clever and showed really great motor skills as its hard sometimes to get that bloody curser on the things you want, i know enough computer illiterate older
    adults that struggle!

So when i was on the phone to MIL and told her as just a bit on info about the day, she said she was appalled that i let her play computer games at 3 (turning on Tuesday).
    I had not really thought of it that way. My MIL took it that i must leave her alone all the time and not interact with her. The truth is somewhat different.

With this pregnancy i was on bedrest for 3 months. In that time i had to try and do all manner of things to keep her occupied and i came across some kids sites where i
    would print off pictures for her to colour. Some of these had games and it was handy to sit with her and do them as i couldnt get up and about at all at some times. Til
    this day at 32 weeks i still get alot of pain at the end of the day and so at this time we have quiet time, which can be drawing or stories etc. Yesterday we were doing the
    kiddies games again on the laptop and she said she wanted to do it and pushed my hand away. Well since then she has been engrossed and does them all herself. Once i have
    this baby i will be more active and with the summer coming i am hoping to distract her away from the games, as i dont think its right for kids to be playing games all day
    like a zombie.

(by the way the games are effectively learning games with alphabets, colours,spelling,numbers, repetition and creativity, not shooting games or anything of that sort!!)

If someone came to you and said that their child could do this what would be your reaction? That the child was clever, that the parent was lazy or both. Has this been a bad
    thing in hindsight and encouraging her to be lazy. Whats your thoughts on young kids and computer games?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think in todays world it is great for children to learn how to use computers etc. I think as long as they arent on it all the time and it is closely monitored its great for learning!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cleigh For This Useful Post:

mum2bubba  (30-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think that this is just part of modern parenting, the child is a product of our times and able to negotiate a technological landscape and the parent is not lazy but utilizing different ways of learning. Of course is this was all the child was doing all day that would be problematic. Kids need to be exposed to a range of different activities to develop different skills, using technology is one of those skills. Our friends 2 year old can use the family Ipad better than I can because it's part of her everyday activities, she still gets to develop her fine motor skills through physical manipulation of things like play dough and painting. Technology definitely has it's place in learning for people of all ages.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

GothChick  (29-03-2012),Seraph8  (29-03-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My two year old ( will be three in june) for the last 6 months has been playing a nintendo ds. Mario kart, and mario brothers, he wins, finishes stages with 100% score/coins collected...

He has autism, and it makes him calm in situations where he would lose the plot if he didnt have it.

People look at us in disgust, like we are awful for allowing him to play it.
    BUt we get the exact same looks/judgement when he has a meltdown. So ya cant win.

You do and allow what u feel is right

Limiting the time they use it would be my only advice, my 2 yr old got addicted as we were allowing him to use it in the home as well. But we weaned him off it to just outings now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (29-03-2012)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    what would MILs know, times have changed somewhat & you do what works for your child. there is some research indicating that children can learn positive skills such as co ordination from compouter games, providing it is in moderation.

you sound like a good mum she should mind her own

Thanks
    Reviews
    At one my first daughter was able to turn on our computer and put on a DVD. No joke.

She was monitored and we certainly didn't just leave her to it for hours, days or whatever.

My MIL was appalled but then again she was a complete moron.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Pfft! DD got an iPod touch at 2 and uses my iPad daily. She has learnt a lot with it too. We still play and do lots of craft and singing.

Why is it okay for people to buy their toddlers leapstar (sp?) gaming thingies but not an iPod, iPad or even laptop?

Get with the times people, technology isn't going anywhere.