+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Preparing to breast feed

So I'm 16 weeks 4 days pg with num 2. DD is 9 yrs old and for a medical reason I couldn't breast feed her. This bub is not expected to have the same issue.
    So I'm open to trying it this time around but I've realised I've not got much of a clue on how to prepare. I'd love any advice or tips you can offer to get myself ready. I've seen things like cookies to build supply- is that for after the birth? And scrubbing your nipples to toughen them up- I'm not gonna do this, seems painful and a bit silly! Any real life tried and tested info would be great! TIA

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You don't need to do anything to prepare, other than mentally IMO! It can take awhile to establish, and some babies are naturally better at it than others. Just take it feed by feed in the early days No need to scrub or harden or whatever. The nipples know what they need to do and they were made for it My only real advice would be to take advantage of the knowledge of friends/family/midwives who have successfully breastfed - they are the best Having someone supportive in real life is a godsend. I don't know what I would have done without my Mum (and my DH with my 2nd baby!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's more just mental preparation I think. These are the things I wished I'd known prior to starting breast feeding, and not knowing led to a bit of angst on my behalf

- it can take a while for your milk to come in. This doesn't mean there is something wrong with you and you can't breast feed. My milk didn't come in until day 6. After the fact, I found out that the delay was likely due to a lot of blood loss during the birth.

- even with correct positioning etc, it can still hurt. I found that my nipple had to stretch...which is why it hurt in the beginning. Now after 9 months, it doesn't hurt at all.

- don't let the midwives convince you that babies feed every 3 hours. In hospital i always felt like I was doing something wrong because my baby wanted to feed hourly ( or less). It is completely normal.

- it is also normal for babies to have a "cluster" feed, generally in the early evening. Having premade meals ready for dinner is a good idea, for when you have a baby attached to you for 3 hours during dinner time.

These were just my experiences. Every woman and baby will be different.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    The only thing you need to do, in my opinion, is have a good support system in place and maybe attend an informative breastfeeding info class (I really benefited from the one I attended...so many of my assumptions were debunked & it was very helpful).

You don't need to scrub nipples and don't do anything to increase your supply!! Your baby will get the supply right and if you DO think you have supply issues following the birth, ring the ABA for advice. A lot of women believe their supply has dropped when the breasts settle, but it's most often not the case.

The ABA line is: 1800 686 268 (7 days a week).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Agree with pp.
    Also know that bub will go through growth spurt in the first few weeks, and want to feed constantly. It doesn't normally mean your milk is drying up. It means baby is trying to increase your supply by stimulating more.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Read "The womanly art of breastfeeding" GREAT BOOK and get in contact with your local ABA group, and start going along before you give birth to get some breastfeeding contacts, if you know the group leader(s) you will feel a lot more at ease ringing her and asking for support/suggestions, and you'll also feel better about going after bub is born, 'cos instead of a new daunting thing (so many things are daunting with a newborn) it'll be like slotting back into a known support group, and introducing bub to friends.

All the best

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (29-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with the previous posts.
    The ABA run really good Breastfeeding Education Classes, I wish I'd known about them when I was pregnant. The hospital one didn't cover anything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with everything above. The ABA classes are excellent. I'd also suss out what support your hospital provides while you are there (can you ask to see a lactation consultant during your stay?) and other community bf support services for when you go home. For example, in Brisbane there are Early Feeding Clinics which are a free daily drop in service for first two weeks that you are at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    YES! To all of the above.
    Some midwives are great, some are average - don't let the average ones get you down. Check your hospitals LC situation and look into hiring a private one. Definitely ABA! Frequent feeding is normal, pain even with correct attachment is normal.
    You'll do great!