+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do light projectors/mobiles help or hinder sleep??

So my 5 month old is still not sleeping and needs to be rocked 5-6 times in the night. I am trying to wean him off the rocking gently.

I have heard that some light projecters soothe babies to sleep. There are voice activated ones that turn on for 5-10 minutes if baby grumbles during the night.

My question is does this wake baby more or do they really help them self soothe? Anybody have experience with this before I give it a go? Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We didn't have a mobile for DS till he was about 4 months old and it worked instantly! He is now 23 months old and in a big bed but he still has a light projecting mobile in his bedroom. It definitely does help him self settle, but I imagine it doesn't work for all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    They didn't work with my bub., they tended to stimulate him
    More. The problem with sleep aids (dummies, rocking, projectors etc) is that if bub wakes and that aid is gone... Bub finds it very difficult to resettle. If you can train bub to sleep without an
    Aide that's better in the long run. Good luck it wouldn't be easy having bub wake that many times during the night..

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've never used them, my reasoning was the last thing I want to do when I wake in the middle of the night is watch tv so why would my baby?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive never used a projector; ive used a music box with a lullaby theme, when he wakes in the night and cries it turns on after 10 seconds and then plays again for 20 minutes. As soon as he hears it he lays back down to sleep; ive also recorded it on my iPhone and take it with me when I may need to get him to sleep somewhere other than home. Works brilliantly.