+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Closing the Gap

What do you think needs to be done in order to really close the gap?

Improving access to clean living conditions (safe drinking water, etc), education and health care I believe are a must.

How do you see it happening?

Moreso, how do you see it happening without creating a divide with people who feel they miss out?

**Please note, this is a thread for ideas on closing the gap, not a debate thread and not an invitation for racism**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Education!!! Free education for the young and old.

Affordable housing. Invest in housing. Give people say 5 years in government housing and then move them on. Rotation is the key so those who need it have it.

Free councilling session emotion, financial etc.

Childcare affordable childcare with places so people can work or study etc.

Mainly give the young ones hope.

Invest in public school don't leave schools in low income areas behind.
    The difference in public schools in the north shore and in some western sydney areas is shocking and an embarrassment to this country. You are already saying to these kids "we dont care".

Fix the NT. for god sakes it's 2012.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Education!!! Free education for the young and old.

Affordable housing. Invest in housing. Give people say 5 years in government housing and then move them on. Rotation is the key so those who need it have it.

Free councilling session emotion, financial etc.

Childcare affordable childcare with places so people can work or study etc.

Mainly give the young ones hope.

Invest in public school don't leave schools in low income areas behind.
    The difference in public schools in the north shore and in some western sydney areas is shocking and an embarrassment to this country. You are already saying to these kids "we dont care".

Fix the NT. for god sakes it's 2012.
    I live in a low income area and the public schools here have poorer facilities then the boarding kennel my dog attends! We have 2 to choose from and they are terrible. I am fortunate enough to be able to go private but many families here can't even afford a car to get them to schools further away, and buses leave later then the private school starts in the morning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know, and it's my job! Looking forward to others responses so I can put them to the Minister

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dancermum For This Useful Post:

share a book  (29-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Where I live, we lack after school care. So right when the govt says work or lose the only income you have, there is no care for kids outside of school, and really no 9 to 2 school-term positions either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump for the night crew.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Education (especially for women - in Uni one lecturer spoke about how when women are better educated, their children usually are too), healthcare, healthy living conditions, support for families/people who want to work (transport, affordable childcare, OOSC, skills training etc.). Access to the internet & information technologies.

Maybe those micro-loans that people can get in some 3rd world countries so they can start their own businesses (adjusted to suit our economy, obviously the tiny amounts won't go far here with our dollar).

Community involvement. If there is no community support/involvement then its hard to change things. People are more likely to put in more effort if they are personally invested in it on some level. Saw a program the other week on the ABC about a remote community & there was a group of elders who went around the community daily to make sure kids were ok & getting to school etc.

I think it is going to take alot of investment to start out with, both from private & public. It will be a daunting amount needed but got to start before it gets even worse. Protections need to be in place to stop exploitation too. Education for the ignorant so they don't think its a hopeless case & do nothing.

All I can think of for now, please feel free to pull me up on any assumptions etc.