+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    [text deleted by moderator]

Yes, I agree about the CCR thread. I'd like it if mods could put a single line explanation as a post/ thread by itself to explain why a thread has gone. I'm not sure what was being reported in that one.

But I've been a part of lots of other debates on here that haven't been shut down (and some that have, but I can see why).

I think the issue is more whether people feel we are being "over moderated", as I would think that the same degree of moderation would apply to a 'flame thread' too. If people feel that they are being personally attacked then they may report posts. No amount of saying 'But it's in the debate area' will change the fact that people will still offend each other.

I think a warning system in threads, or a person/ post being removed but a thread staying open, would be a better solution.
    Last edited by Mod-Nomsie; 30-03-2012 at 19:56. Reason: referring to deleted posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    And I think perhaps threads get closed sometimes because they are generating too much work for the mods to keep up with. Ie tons of reports to deal with and continually coming in as the thread's moving quickly. When it gets to 'major headache' stage, closing it might be the most practical answer. I'm sure the mods don't have to time to spend all day moderating just one thread. (or maybe they do, I'm just guessing here)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Mod-biscotti  (30-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I'd like it if mods could put a single line explanation as a post/ thread by itself to explain why a thread has gone.
    This is actually a really good idea too, it would stop people getting confused or annoyed about the thread being closed, and would increase awareness of what the rules are/where the line is.
    By showing people what exactly has caused a thread closure or deletion or a ban, then they should be less likely to do it in the future.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (30-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ofcourse there is nothing stopping people of setting up their own website/forum for the more heated debates that can not be done here on BH, without them being at risk of being closed/deleted.

You can even setup a Facebook page to debate anything parenting related that we all know will create controversy. Ie BF vs FF or politics related issues or "do you leave your child in the car when paying for petrol" threads

I have never heard of a flame thread before on BH. Maybe I have posted in one without knowing it. What is the definition of a "flame" thread?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    Sorry but someone saying "You are ignorant on that subject" as opposed to "you are ignorant" are two completely different things. Yes you're right FITB, we don't all know everything about everything but that doesn't make someone ignorant. As someone on the receiving end of being called ignorant, it is insulting and derogatory no matter how it's said. I know I am far from ignorant so someone who doesn't know a thing about me other than an opinion I've stated on a forum, has no right to call me ignorant. They can disagree with what I'm saying and they can argue the point with me but that does not give them the right to call me ignorant. That's name calling no matter how you dress it. If I call you fat or ugly or ignorant .. it's all name calling at the end of the day.
    ...and I said I'm not a fan of name calling.

ahwell... I just thought having a section with a basic structure and format for the 'purpose' of debating would be a better alternative to taking 'chat' threads way off track.

But if it's been trialled before without success I can't see it happening again.

Guest Guest
    It'd need to be with members with 1000+ post counts, where trolls or unknown members can't deliberately start a flame thread. I don't think older members can get away with name calling and being highly offensive, people know them, you can't troll and go hide iykwim? So I think it'd be for genuine debates without worrying about being reported and shut down over abit of heat and frustration.
    Most of us older members can disagree, argue, and then generally be fine with each other.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (30-03-2012),trishalishous  (30-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How strange. Iv been a moderator on a forum this size before (I know, hard to believe right) and the only thing I can think that happened is there were so many posts reported,only a few mods online and no one had time to go through 22 pages editing and deleting. Im not sure if it happens on this forum but we sometimes delete threads (move them to a deleted section in mod HQ) and clean up later when we have time, then reinstate the thread with a warning to behave...

Im wracking my brain trying to remember if there were any offensive attacking posts and I really dont think there were...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I was personally attacked not to mention accused of lying in that thread.
    But I don't care, I've got a thick skin. I was happy for the posts to be removed and don't know why the whole thing was taken down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Oh I was personally attacked not to mention accused of lying in that thread.
    But I don't care, I've got a thick skin. I was happy for the posts to be removed and don't know why the whole thing was taken down.
    I dont remember you being attacked at all hun. I guess that's where the problem lies, some people feel attacked when if the same thing was said to someone else, it wouldn't really bother them....

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    and we have to answer why threads get closed?

Consider this a warning (and we often post in threads asking people to get back on topic or to stop with the personal stuff) ....

This thread may remain open, as we like to hear other peoples opinions - but not if that involves personal attacks or insults.

Mods come in at different times and read all the threads and make judgement calls. We discuss with the other mods to try and get a variety of opinions, but if a thread is deemed too difficult or time consuming to clean ... often it will stay closed or deleted.

We have trialled a debate section before, but it wasnt particularly successful. At the end of the day, we have a "social issues" section to debate issues - but you need to ensure that you debate the issues and not the members.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (30-03-2012),FiveInTheBed  (30-03-2012),SarahTamar  (30-03-2012),trishalishous  (30-03-2012)