+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe start a thread that clearly states.."Do you want to see a DEBATE section on BH" or something along those lines

- and add a poll.

Ask a mod to watch it and put it to admin/other mods - or whoever ultimately makes teh decision... if the poll heavily weighs in favour of having such an area.??

Discuss some 'rules' like have been suggested here.

I agree in debating the ISSUE not attacking the POSTER.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NutsyK View Post
    I think they're talking about the CCR getting swiped from middle class incomes thread.

Ergh BH is getting boring.

NutsyK
    From the nature of the thread itself. Her name was the title... Anyone can sue if they believe their reputation could be damaged and they can sue the online publisher and anyone who takes part. (just studied this last semester).
    Last edited by Mod-Nomsie; 30-03-2012 at 19:50. Reason: referring to edited posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    I saw that thread and thought it was definitely spiralling out of control towards the end. Yes whoever he/she was that was making those racist comments was out of line IMO and it's a good idea that the thread got closed down. My suggestion to those who love a good heated debate would be to try another well know forum that I'm not allowed to name. They never close down threads and some of the women there are vicious! If you're a masochist who enjoys being eaten alive by pitbulls I highly recommend that particular forum. I personally love that BH is so controlled and the admins don't allow it to get too far.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FirstTimeMummy2012 For This Useful Post:

MrJones&Me  (30-03-2012),superbax  (30-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not sure why the CCR one was closed. I followed that one pretty closely, and everything seemed to be quite polite. People were getting irritated with each other, but the debate stayed on topic, and I didn't think anyone was particularly out of order - unless I missed something??

I get why the Pauline one was closed, as it had her name all over it, and there was a troll in there. But I guess I would have preferred for the troll to have been removed, and the discussion continue - although I know that wouldn't have solved any defamation issues if that was the thing.

I agree that it would be good to have a debate area, but I can't get my head around what's being suggested. I guess I see it that all of BH is a debate area, and the only difference with a 'head to head' type section would be that people could be rude to each other????

I understand people saying that perfectly tame debates get shut down, but I think that's a different issue. With a new area, where would we draw the line? No personal attacks? Well in a 'heated' area, someone would feel that it was personal at some point. No reporting? Well then people could just bully others with no recourse.

And it doesn't work to say 'if you don't like it then don't look', as there would be people who got attacked in there. It would have a knock-on effect for the rest of the forum.

So I get the point, but I have a different suggestion...

Perhaps the mods could do more of a 'warning system' before shutting a thread down? Maybe do a post to tell us what the problem is (e.g., "There have been complaints of personal attacks/ racism/ trolling in this thread") and warning that if there is another post that falls under that category then the poster won't be able to contribute to that thread any more?

So, the person/ people who troll/ start fights/ cause offence are removed, but the thread continues.

I know that might be an administrative nightmare. Just trying to think off the top of my head. I don't think it's right that a thread should be shut down with no explanation. Even if we were just told "There have been complaints of XYZ" - then at least people have an opportunity to be aware of what might get another thread closed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No idea why the CCR thread was closed but can understand why the Pauline one was... It wasn't a real discussion anyway as that new member was clearly a troll...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post

I agree that it would be good to have a debate area, but I can't get my head around what's being suggested. I guess I see it that all of BH is a debate area, and the only difference with a 'head to head' type section would be that people could be rude to each other????

IMO - the area would be FOR debate. HEALTHY debate... discussion of a topic that needs to be spoken about (for whatever reason) - so that people can share facts, opinions etc and fight for what they think is right.

too often this happens in a 'normal' chat thread and people get defensive and upset that they have been quoted or argued against when all they were doing was 'stating their opinion'.

In an area like this - people can read and not participate and learn something, or they can partake, but the risk they take is being disagreed with.

I'm not a fan of namecalling and if there was a set of rules laid out I would hope that would be one of them.
    IT would be tricky though because a lot of teh time I see people use the word 'ignorant' for example in relation to a post and people get huffy. If people could admit that we are ALL ignorant to some things I doubt we ALL know everything there is to know about EVERYTHING and that what we DO know, may not infact be correct... then maybe a productive - yet heated and passionate discussion could be had.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (30-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (30-03-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I am reasonably sure BH has actually trialed a debate style section before. Unfortunately, Bubhubians were unable to keep above the belt from memory.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (30-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    IMO - the area would be FOR debate. HEALTHY debate... discussion of a topic that needs to be spoken about (for whatever reason) - so that people can share facts, opinions etc and fight for what they think is right.

too often this happens in a 'normal' chat thread and people get defensive and upset that they have been quoted or argued against when all they were doing was 'stating their opinion'.

In an area like this - people can read and not participate and learn something, or they can partake, but the risk they take is being disagreed with.

I'm not a fan of namecalling and if there was a set of rules laid out I would hope that would be one of them.
    IT would be tricky though because a lot of teh time I see people use the word 'ignorant' for example in relation to a post and people get huffy. If people could admit that we are ALL ignorant to some things I doubt we ALL know everything there is to know about EVERYTHING and that what we DO know, may not infact be correct... then maybe a productive - yet heated and passionate discussion could be had.
    I get what you're saying, but I think that can already happen on 'normal' BH as it stands.

E.g., if there is a thread about someone having BF problems, and it starts getting into a BF/FF debate, then there is nothing stopping someone from starting a thread entitled "BF vs FF - discuss" (if they are brave/ masochistic).

There's nothing stopping us having threads that are debates now. They usually get shut down as people get irate/ personal/ offended/ offensive - and even in a 'flame' section I think that would still be the case!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (30-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Sorry but someone saying "You are ignorant on that subject" as opposed to "you are ignorant" are two completely different things. Yes you're right FITB, we don't all know everything about everything but that doesn't make someone ignorant. As someone on the receiving end of being called ignorant, it is insulting and derogatory no matter how it's said. I know I am far from ignorant so someone who doesn't know a thing about me other than an opinion I've stated on a forum, has no right to call me ignorant. They can disagree with what I'm saying and they can argue the point with me but that does not give them the right to call me ignorant. That's name calling no matter how you dress it. If I call you fat or ugly or ignorant .. it's all name calling at the end of the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think sometimes threads are closed because they just start going round in circles and people are just repeating what has already been said.

I would love to read a "flame" section, but would probably never post in it...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

RobinSparkles  (30-03-2012)