+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have G breasts and am currently feeding dd (4.5mo) perfectly fine!

I too had the incredibly sore nipples for about a month but that was due to poor attachment as she just wasnt opening her mouth wide enough. Once we both worked out what we needed to do (pull down chin and shove boob in) then in a few days the pain just went away.

What you are feeling has NOTHING to do with big boobs.

I feed dd with a pillow under her and she is kinda tucked under my boob across my tummy if that makes sense.

It will get easier....I promise!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Would you consider trying a nipple shield? That can often help with attachment. Has bub been checked for a tongue tie?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

smootch  (29-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have size G and fed my first for 20 months and still feeding my second at 22 months.
    I use a pillow underneath and use one hand to support my breast. I could never do it walking around or one handed like so many of my friends though.
    For my first I was in agony for the first few seconds every time she attached for the first 10 weeks or so. There was nothing wrong with the attachment, no grazes etc, it was just my nipples getting used to it all. I used to brace myself and curl my toes each time!! So hang in there.
    I used to hate the advice that if it hurt you must be doing it wrong - it just hurt because my nipples were so sensitive at first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bah, rubbish. What a stupid midwife to say that you can't feed with big breasts.
    I'm a 14G-H & although it took a little to get things in sync & a few weeks of cracked nipples. We used a football hold & a shield for the first few weeks until DD got abit bigger & we had figured out attachment. And cushions/pillows. Lots of them.
    Agree with the PPs - call the ABA hotline or speak to a LC for advice on attaching, good holds etc.
    Good luck

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Booby boosters can be helpful; http://www.boobybooster.com.au/

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I was an E cup when I had DS and although that's not as big as some other PPs, I was told my breasts were too 'large' to feed effectively as well.
    I think what they were getting at is that my breast could block his nose if I couldn't see properly (which happened occasionally).
    Unfortunately I wasn't able to BF, but the football hold seemed to work best when I was first trying to get him to latch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm also an E cup, whilst it's not enormous, I had a few difficulties learning to feed.
    In the early days, positioning was hardest, remember it's
    'chest to chest, nose to breast'.
    Also support is important, si make sure you have lots of pillows. Also, I felt like my nipples and areolas were too big for DD to take in a proper mouthful, so I held either side of my aerola to make it more 'teat' shaped. Not sure if that's the correct thing to do, but it sure helped and we are breadfredung fine at almost 9 months.

Milky mumma since July 2011

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a 16H and currently bfing our 12 week old and like you the first few weeks were the most painful time many times the initial latch would bring me to tears, my advice is the same as pp talk to a lactation consultant/ABA but maybe for relief for you now maybe some cream the likes of lansinoh could help I used it after every feed and found it quite soothing

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm currently a 12F and still feeding my 12 month old!

The first 6-8 weeks were pretty bl00dy tough ... Very painful and I had flat nipples, using a shield helped enormously to get us both established. Quite a few times I seriously considered giving up but am very happy I didn't.

Like PP have suggested, talk to the ABA as much as you need to and persevere if it is something you want to achieve. It does get easier I promise!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow - there are some big boobies in here It sounds like your midwife was shrugging you off and giving you a reason for having difficulty which would result in her not being able to help you out. I would suggest booking into a LC or even community nurse to get a second opinion. Also - try different positions and use a pillow. Bf is hard and finding the best "way" takes time and patience. I was always told the first 6 weeks are the hardest - and then there on in it gets easier. Maybe express a little before you feed so your breasts are not so engorged and even express a little and put in bottle to see if you can get a little break from doing it that way. Goodluck xoxo