+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help! Fast/forceful let down... should I just express and bottle feed?

Hi there,

My baby is just going on 4 weeks, and I was told by numerous midwives while in hospital, that I have a fast/forceful let down. My baby will cough/choke and gasp on the breast and sometimes just pull off and cry and scream as she can't handle it. I was told I could start expressing after 3 weeks also as I had an over supply of milk.

I have seen how forceful it can be as sometime when she pulls off it just sprays out, I am considering only expressing and bottle feeding to stop this happening, as she becomes very distressed when this happens and doe not want to get back on, Im afraid that she will start to not feed well?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks so much in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes! I have! I just take bub off until after the key down, you could catch it in a bottle if you wanted to but I just hold a towel over. I always recline backwards when I'm feeding aswell. But saying that bubs will get use to it after a while and soon it will be your saviour when you need to fill the little person up when they're bigger! If you need more advice, call the ABA they are a great source of information!

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shinebrite For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (18-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the last poster. I had a very forceful let-down too so I would take bub off breast at let-down and let it spray into a cloth then re-attach bub. You can express a little and then attach bub once it slows down but this can stimulate extra milk production. Reclining back helps a fast flow and if you feed sidelying the baby can dribble excess milk out of mouth if too much. Forceful let down is often due to having too much milk (oversupply). If you have an oversupply of milk they often suggest that you do "block-feeding" where you put baby back onto the same breast if baby wants another feed within a 4 hour time period. If the other breast gets uncomfortably full in the meantime you can express a little from that side (as little as you can get away with to take the pressure off without increasing milk supply too much). Baby will get used to fast milk flow as they get older and they often start complaining when the flow slows down at around 8 weeks! That's what happened to me!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HouseOfFun For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (18-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Agree with PP about block feeding, reclining back and using a cloth to catch the first bit of spray.

Its funny when you suddenly find dried milk on tables/bookshelves/TV ACROSS the room from where you usually sit.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Lying down in bed to feed can also help to regulate the flow. My son used toalmost drown with my letdown, and when I mastered lying down to feed it was great.

All the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had over supply plus rapid forceful let down. It settles with time and also bub gets used to it. I wore breast pads for the first 9 months then realised I didn't need them anymore. Probably could have stopped earlier but hadn't thought to check!
    In the early days when I was spraying all over the place I learned to be quick with the breast pad and held it on my nipple when bub pulled off. I kept it tucked between us or just inside my top so I could grab it quickly.
    I also block fed "with a twist": I couldn't remember which side I was up to do instead of alternating every few hours, I alternated daily. So Monday Wednesday and Friday I always started on the left side and Tuesday Thursday and the weekend I always offered the right side first.
    Hope that helps. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a side note on the feeding lying down. It's called gravity feeding and works FAR better lying on your back, rather than on your side. I was already side feeding, but found once I introduced lying on my back and block feeding she was stretching her feeds out to 4 hours instead of 2. At 7 mnths I still have to blockfeed or I get major oversupply! But she takes 4 mins to empty one breast now the guts! Lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not really adding anything new but I also had this experience and my DS struggled with a very sniffly nose. These combined meant lots of coughing, spluttering and gasping for air from him. I did what has been suggested - reclined feeding position, take him off for initial let down and catch milk in a towel, and then put him back on. We just had to have lots of little rests so he could catch his breath and bring up wind as he swallowed lots of air.
    The good news is that they learn to adapt to your fast flow and these issues do end. Hang in there, and definitely call the ABA hotline on 18006862686

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thanks!

Thanks ladies for all your replies, good to know I'm not the only one. She's 6-7 weeks now and its still happening, I could be wrong but somehow in the past week its stronger, as when she pulls off there are a lot more sprays!

I was actually with a nurse for her 6-8 weeks check yesterday and it happened while I was feeding during her check, she also suggested I go back to reclining back when I feed her, and that there wasn't really much else I can do. My problem is, is that most times she becomes so distressed she cries and screams once faced with my breast again, and then I feel that she hasn't complete her feed... BUT she's gaining weight very well, is very healthy and has plenty of wet and poo nappies to indicate she is getting what she needs, I just really wish it would calm down as it can make a feed when it happens so stressful for us both and also extremely messy for us! ahaha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I can't remember exact time when mine settled down but think it was somewhere around 13 weeks. My flow is still fast but he learned to pull off and then go back on without all the distress and crying. Still comes on and off as he needs to at 22 weeks. On the bright side you end up having a bub that is quick and efficient at feeding, just takes them a bit to get the hang of it. Good luck.