+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was reading this thinking Diamond Eyes shouldn't be losing weight, she's pregnant but then realised that you probably didn't know that when you wrote this, that might have explained why you weren't losing any weight

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes  (21-04-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    personally, when training, I work on a 500-1000 calorie deficit.
    I consume about 2000cal a day and do 1000cal of exercise, but dont stress if the numbers arent perfect.
    I go by a week goal of - 5000cal a week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkIsTheNewBlack View Post
    Omg how can u survive on so little calories a day!!! That's like 4000 -6000 kjs a day! Don't u all feel starving!!!! I just worked out on my iPhone app I eat at least 2000-2500 cal (or 10,000kj) a day eeekkkk def over daily recommendation!
    I started out feeling hungry but I worked out it's because my body was used to it being fed all the time. But now that my body is used to being fed less I don't feel as hungry anymore. Plus I try (try being the operative word ) to put calories in my body that comprise of good nutitious food rather than empty calories. So I believe that I'm healthier for it and because my body is getting more nutrient rich food now, it doesn't seem to crave food as much (any food...junk mainly LOL).

Plus I'm drink A LOT of water now, before I hardly ever drank water. I believe I have spent most of my life dehydrated and I would usually think I'm hungry when really I was actually thirsty. So drinking more water has also slowed hunger down.

I eat when I'm hungry now, and I eat small. Rather than freaking out because it's 12 and I should have lunch right? Shouldn't I? So I go and eat anyway whether I'm hungry or not. Now I wait, and eat when I'm hungry and that can mean I may not eat when the clock turns 12 or whatever....I may need to eat later or earlier. And I aways have water first in case I'm thirsty rather than hungry.

My body got used to it and now I'm hardly hungry.

I've learnt a lot about my body since this weightloss fad LOL

Thanks
    Reviews
    No less then 200 def and no more then 500.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Muscle function is largely misunderstood.

You don't get 'more' or 'less' muscle no matter what you do. You are born with your muscle/body/bone composition and that is that.

Strength training makes your muscles function/respond better, THEN get bigger. But you don't get 'more' they just get 'larger'.

The bigger your muscles & they better they 'respond', the more calories they need to function.

'starvation mode' will not 'eat' your muscles. It will make them shrink & respond less. It's your body's way of conserving energy.

1200 cal a day is not enough for everyone & for some people it is too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteKnight View Post
    Muscle function is largely misunderstood.

You don't get 'more' or 'less' muscle no matter what you do. You are born with your muscle/body/bone composition and that is that.

Strength training makes your muscles function/respond better, THEN get bigger. But you don't get 'more' they just get 'larger'.

The bigger your muscles & they better they 'respond', the more calories they need to function.

'starvation mode' will not 'eat' your muscles. It will make them shrink & respond less. It's your body's way of conserving energy.

1200 cal a day is not enough for everyone & for some people it is too much.
    Thats not how i have interpreted what i have read, defiantly not how my figure model friend has explained it to me. Your muscles get micro tears during exercise- when fed and RESTED properly they repair and grow larger( MUSCLE GROWTH) - THIS CAN NOT BE DONE IN A CALORIE DEFICIT. Not eating enough or often enough will cause your body to become KATBOLIC (sp?) your body will use muscle as fuel.

Im very interested to know for whom 1200 is to much calories for...... i dont think there is anyone who has a BMR lower than 1200 calories and saying some people need less is a dangerous statement- anyone wanting to know how much they really should be eating, muscle and bone mass should get a DEXTA/bod pod scan

to shed weight.... the best way is body builder style, eat often, eat little meals, combine protein healthy fats and good quality carbs, eat 6+ times a day and the FAT will fall off

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    I have to disagree a little here. I think that people need to find their own 'magic' number and the whole 1200 across the board is a load of crap...for sure. For some their magic number may be 1400 for another it might be 900 whatever works for the individual.

Watching biggest loser I used to think that too, that they'd be losing all this muscle and yes they'd be skinnier but it would comprise mostly of fat. But have you see what they do? Have you seen the weight work they do? There is no way, while you're working your muscles and actually getting physically stronger than your muscles eat away. It doesn't work like that. If you're using your muscles then how can they be being eaten away at the same time? I'm proving it myself, the change in my body is phenominal, I'm toning and getting stronger and my calories are quite low and my body is using the ketones as fuel as my body burns fat, it's not using muscle, it can't be - or I would be a weakling and unable to lift 40kgs on the seated press, or squat 12kgs plus body weight and working up. So it can't be as simple as...go under some generic magic number and your body starts to panic, really the human body is a lot smarter than that.
    Im a bit scared to ask how many calories your eating, from your post it seems like not many at all. We agree on 1 thing 1200 isnt right for everyone, but have to disagree on everything else lol. I think you are using your muscles and thats why you can lift and squat ect- but your a mum of 6 so are used to carrying way more than that in general life- I weigh a couple kilos less than you have been weight training since the start of my weightloss and can squat 60 kilos ( dont have any more weight plates to go higher) I also run 40+ km a week so couldnt live off of low low calories. You have lost an amazing amount of weigght and with weightloss comes muscle visability- i like to say we shed the coat that has been covering them.

1200 isnt the magic number that your body shuts down its just the really dangerous end of the scale, its the number that gets thrown around alot, coz there has to be a number said but in reality everyone BMR is different and eating under your BMR and exercising leads your body have to make choices about what body functions are important and what arent.

Biggest loser style weightloss isnt healthy.... yes they are lifting weights regularly, but i have never seen them do big numbers more pump style weight lifting that is more cardio based than weight based. They also do 2x 600 calorie cardio sessions on there own EVERYDAY. Any body builder will tell you you cannot build muscle in a defect, and on biggest loser there deficit is huge

estimate- bmr 1400 cal
    exercise 1800 calories
    total 3200 calories

and they are eating 1200

JMO

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am stronger, my muscles are getting bigger (through ripping and repairing) What I eat is enough as my body is using ketones as fuel not my muscles and I'm using my muscles.

The biggest loser people are still using their muscles. They would have more muscle than when they started. No they are not body builders but that's not the goal here, it's to lose weight. They need to expend more energy than they take in and this equal weight loss - and it works.

My only issue with the biggest loser though, is that what they're doing is extreme and not a lifestyle change. Once they hit their goals what then? They'll need a maintenance plan or they're going to gain it all back again. What they are doing is n't a lifestyle change and can't be done consistantly for the rest of their lives. This is why I won't do 'boot camp' type training and I don't think this is a realistic way of losing weight. I prefer to do a lifestyle change ramped up then pulled back for maintenance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    I am stronger, my muscles are getting bigger (through ripping and repairing) What I eat is enough as my body is using ketones as fuel not my muscles and I'm using my muscles.
    have never heard of this KETONES before will do some research - the only time i have heard anything refer to it was atkins -body trim type diets, these are just another DIET, Diets, cutting out foods types out or limiting them leads to failure or nutrient deficiency. a very close friend of mine was hospitalised recently with kidney stone due to body trim

You said it perfectly- Biggest losers goal is to lose weight- when the ULTIMATE GOAL should be to lose FAT!!!!!!!!!!! the extremely large contestants have a HUGE amount of muscle to be carrying that weight around everyday- there legs will be extremely strong- losing this muscle mass means there metabolism is lower so they will never be able to eat a normal amount of food when on maintenance - but it is just a tv showm for ratings and not for the HEALTH of the contestants

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think maybe DE's nutritional requirements are a bit different to everyone elses... she'd be flat out getting anywhere near 1200 Calories in a day. Her stomach is about 1/8th the size of a normal stomach, and thus her requirements are a bit different...

DE, I'd maybe see a dietician about this? They may know the answer a bit better, as your needs are a bit different to the standard persons. They might be able to give you a number better tailored to you.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (23-04-2012),Zombie_eyes  (23-04-2012)