+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Angry I will never live with my MIL.

I'm going through a million problems at the moment...

Partner and I live in a shared house. The rent is extremely cheap. The house is horrible and dirty, both of us want to move out as soon as possible, specially now that I'm pregnant.
    I got pregnant while i was in between jobs, its been difficult to find a new job considering I will leave in 6 months.
    Partner got fired very recently from a stable job.

I'm Australian, though I lived most of my life overseas and have only very recently moved back here. My family does not live in Oz and I do not have much of a support system.

So as you can see life is hard for us.

MIL offered us to live with her without paying any rent or bills.
    I do not want to live with my MIL when I'm a new mum! I do not want her teaching me what to do, telling me what to do, getting into any of my business. Having my first baby is something so precious to me.. I want to raise him/her on my own, make my own mistakes, figure things outs on my own.. that wont happen with my MIL in the middle.
    I've also become an irrational hormonal lady, this pregnancy has been horrible. I do not want to have my crying fits in my MIL's house.

Another point is: I'm in the process of getting my license, I do not have a car. MIL lives in a small city where there isn't much public transport. I would be even more isolated from the world if we were to move there.

My partner is angry and does not understand why I do not want to live with his family. He is offended and doesn't get why I wouldn't want his mum to help me with the baby, he doesn't get it.. at all!
    He says i am being selfish, only thinking about myself - only worrying about myself instead of focusing on the fact that this may help us buy a house in the near future.

I am extremely depressed. I know living in someone elses house (lets face it, things are diffferent when you arent in the privacy of your home) just makes things even worse for me.
    He doesn't understand why I dont want his mum to help me and he is quite hurt and resentful of it.
    And of course, he will not leave that house for at least 2 years. So there goes my first pregnancy (with a MIL thats a food pusher.. you know, the type of women that make you eat and eat and get upset when you say no).. and there goes my first year with my baby on MY OWN as it should be.. I'M the mum!

if you were in my shoes, how would you make him understand why I dont want to move into his mothers house? agh... I wish he would understand but he doesn't, he's just calling me selfish.
    I'm not selfish, i'm depressed, alone and in a horrible place.. in need of desperate help...

Thanks
    Reviews
    We moved toy mil house after j had my son and it was great to start with she helped me alot and everything
    Was fine then it all went bad and we had a huge fight and things were bad for a while we didn't talk to each other and we lived in the same house I didnt want her near my baby and I got us our own place and we moved out and I didn't talk to her for a long time and didn't want my son here her so we never seen her for almost 2 years all I can say it is hard to live with other people and u would much rather be in ur own house but as u same the house u live in is dirty and you don't want your baby there u want your baby to have the best chance at a heathy life and if u can save enough money u will be out of her house and in to ur our place where u and ur hubby and baby can be happy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wantingonemorein2013 For This Useful Post:

rollercoaster2012  (29-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to share some hugs!!

I know exactly where you are coming from, trouble is I'm living it out now at 7 months pg.

I hate her now more than anything and my partner will need to deal with the fact that she will not be an active part of our lives moving forward.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MumDadBoyandGirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sharing hugs. DP and I moved in with MIL for a "really short time"... I was 3 months pg when we moved in and DD was 3 months old when we FINALLY moved out.

We were there while DP was applying for mining jobs and we didn't wantvto be stuck in a lease if he got one. I had also been made redundant from my job and we were really struggling financially.

I thought she would be great... Not so much. We now hardly ever speak to her and I wish we had never moved in there at all.

I hope something comes up and allows you to get your own place.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Turk EnJayDee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't think of anything worse, I'm sorry this is happening to you!! Thankfully my DP agrees & living with either of our families will never be a consideration.

Could you put it back on your DP & ask how he'd feel living with your family? Stuck chatting to your Dad EVERY NIGHT when all he wants to do is relax after work, not being able to eat toast for dinner even though he wants to just because your Mum cooked etc? You get my drift - it strips you both of your independance, your right to privacy, even if your MIL tries not to interfere, she will. She loves your child, she'll see you do something "wrong" & she'll correct you. If you can get him to glimpse what it'll be like for you maybe he'll understand your point of view better?

Good luck, I hope things get better for you.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to becandabub For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If it was me, I would give it a try. Sounds like your financial situation is pretty dire at the moment and no rent or bills would be a huge relief.

You could set up some ground rules before moving in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I can 100% understand but tbh what other options do you have?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally understand where you are coming from - I can't stand my MIL let alone have to move in with her. If I were in your shoes, I would take my time and write down a few points. Being pregnant and hormones, the conversations obviously haven't worked with you both becoming frustrated - if you have point form - you can stay the course and hopefully get your point across in saying that some of what I'm going to say - you might not like.

I can totally get where you are coming from - if she's intrusive now - she will be when the baby comes along. She's been down that road before (obviously with her son and his siblings) but they need to remember what worked 20, 30 years ago is mostly not relevant for now. She's going to have a comment regardless of what you do, if you live with her or not.

I can see why your partner would be offended - she raised HIM. He might think the sun shines from his mum and that she's the bee's knees and this is the part that's going to sting ... it's his baby too. You said "I do not want her teaching me what to do, telling me what to do, getting into any of my business. Having my first baby is something so precious to me.. I want to raise him/her on my own, make my own mistakes, figure things outs on my own" - where does your partner come into this. How is he going to 'figure things out on his own'. He has a say in how he would like to do things too and believe me - I had to learn this the hard way with my husband - just because they aren't exactly the way I would do them - doesn't mean they are necessarily wrong. You are a team - you are gonna need your partners support and if he doesn't have the answer - where do you think he's going to go for advice??

Your partner has probably gone into 'I have to provide mode' and sees this as a stepping stone to achieve that by saving for the house. I can see it from both sides. Being pregnant for me sucks too - you and I both sound like the kind of women that don't fall into that category of 'ohh you just GLOWWWWW' ... it's scary and it's stressful and it's irrational.

good luck with getting your licence - that will be a HUGE step to preserving your independence

Silly question - but have you looked at other accommodation? Or is your partner not willing to look at any other options? I think when it comes to having a baby there is a degree of selfishness that you need to have - as you said - YOURs and HIS baby - make it a great experience but you just don't feel it will be healthy for your mental state to move in with your MIL and provide the points to him there.

I offer you hugs and support and wish you the best outcome for your family.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to deville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is really hard Does your MIL work? If not that would make for a very longgg 2 year stay. I wouldnt like being around my MIL for my pregnancy or labour, or first moments, she would take over too, even though she is a lovely person, sometimes they just cant help it. Try telling your partner this is making you anxious and depressed and you will have to find somewhere else to live?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mummy2Luca For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe talk to your partner about how you want a long term positive relationship with your MIL and his family, and you are worried that moving in with them at this time could be detrimental to this.

YOu are only 3 months pregnant, it is definately possible to get a job at this time, even if the job is not one that you would normally get. Think outside the square when looking for work. I had just finished studying when i found out i was pregnant and didn't feel comfortable applying for jobs in my chosen career when i would only be there for a few months. I wrote up my CV and dropped it into a number of businesses stating that i was interested in part-time, casual, or project work and was offered 3 interviews from just 10 drops. I got work at a really nice place and returned there between my 2 babies. It worked for both of us, they got some of their project work finished and i got cash!