+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Manual pump, breast feeding as well as one bottle feed per day :)

Hi there ladies,
    I am a soon to be first time mum (20 weeks YAY) and am going to breast feed hopefully but want to also express one feed per day so that hubby can have a feed and also bond with our new baby. Also so that if needed at any stage baby is used to either breast or bottle.
    Is anyone else doing this??
    What are peoples thoughts
    THANKS!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm doing this for my second, 20 weeks also

Tho I will be breast feeding through out the day and giving a formula bottle at night.
    Iv decided to do this as I found it hard getting first bub taking a bottle @ 6 months when I needed her to as I went back to work. Finally got there

Don't let ppl tell u if bad ect u do what u feel is right good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tjewell For This Useful Post:

amyzbubblez  (30-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I gave my bub her first bottle of EBM at 10wks old when I went back to work. She got two/three bottles a week from then on. Expressing is easiest after the first feed ~3/4am. I used to get 150-200mL a boob whilst DD fed on the other. Its easier to express straight after a feed or whilst feeding. I expressed 3 times a week at 4am for DD and whilst at work as well.

I would HIGHLY recommend you do not offer a bottle before 8-10wks so that you get your supply established. There are many mums here that have had boob rejection cos the bottle is much easier. The medela Calma bottle/teat is brilliant as it makes the baby work for the milk. Or you can use a sippy cup/ cup and spoon to avoid nipple confusion.

I also made sure that bub never got a bottle when I was around so that she didnt associate mummy cuddles/smell with a bottle. So get your DH to do the feed whilst you go and relax, get a massage, catch up with friends etc.

At 4mths I moved her to a sippy cup. Just a note - your bf bub may not cope well with formula for the odd feed so I would suggest you used EBM vs forumla or a goats milk based one.

Good luck.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    That was my plan also, express so dj could give a bottle at night and I could sleep. Tho even after 5 months of exclusively BF and trying to express I still can only get maximum 40mls per breast. Not saying that this will happen for you but just be aware that some women like me find it really hard to express enough for a full feed.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Qbaby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have an 8 mth old DD. Ever since she was about 6 weeks old I have been expressing at night and letting DH do the bedtime feed by bottle with EBM. Obviously if he isn't home at that time I just breastfeed. He really enjoys feeding our DD and I enjoy the break. I have an electric pump as I was full time expressing jn the first few weeks after birth (baby was tongue tied) but a manual pump is probably all you need. I find I get more milk from a manual pump anyway. I would wait until feeding is established before pumping if possible just to make sure your supply is ok.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LilPetal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great advice given already, I do 100% agree with the comment re not introducing a bottle too quickly as it could cause nipple confusion and lead to a lot of breastfeeding problems.

Can I just add though, there are a billion of other things dads can do for 'bonding'. My DH gave DS his first bottle of expressed milk when he was approx. 6 weeks old. This did not mean that he had not yet bonded with our son. DH is and always has been in charge of bath/nudie time every day It's their time together and has been since DS's first bath in hospital

I have a friend who is due any day now and she has decided to not breastfeed at all because she is afraid of leaving out her DH. I think that's really sad! IMO both men and women have different roles to their offspring and these roles are constantly changing all the time. At the moment DS is very much a mummy's boy (I secretly love that ) but I know in the very near future, it will be all about daddy!!

Sorry for rambling, just wanted to add my 2 cents!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MilkiCuddles For This Useful Post:

amyzbubblez  (01-04-2012),Bubbles10  (31-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Milkicuddles brought up an important issue- there are heaps of things that Dad can do without feeding baby. My DH didn't find bottlefeeding to be 'bonding' and much preferred giving baby a bath or taking baby for a walk in the baby carrier. The kids love him and he loves them and are completely 'bonded' without having to do bottles.

I also find breastfeeding way too convenient and mess free compared to expressing and bottlefeeding.

I reckon it is great to look at all different options, and then be okay if when baby arrives you decide you want to do something different.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

amyzbubblez  (01-04-2012),MilkiCuddles  (31-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am doing exactly what you want to do for the exact same reason!!
    Bub is currently just over 3 months old and from the day my milk came in he has had 1 bottle of ebm each night from hubby.
    He had no nipple confusion whatsoever so do what you like, and bub will let you know if it doesn't work for him/her.
    A few mums I know are having trouble getting their bubs to take bottles now that they are a bit older, so I am glad I started straight away.
    Hubby finds this great for bonding time since he is away at work all day and often doesn't get home in time for baths. It also gives me a break too. I still have to pump, which I keep for the following night, but it's different to having bub on you again. He also changes and puts to bed so it's their quality time together.
    Good luck!!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to misspumpkin For This Useful Post:

amyzbubblez  (01-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congratulations on your pregnancy! We did a similar thing but I expressed once a day which gave me enough milk for a bottle of ebm once a week. I could have expressed more but didn't want to exacerbate my oversupply so only expressed 40-50ml per day. We started with the bottle at about 6 weeks. I was concerned if I left it longer bub might refuse it, but if I started earlier bub might get nipple confusion. I see others here started sooner without that happening though. Stick with the newborn nipple. If the bottle flows faster than the breast bub might prefer the bottle. Our eldest was still on the newborn nipple at 13 mo. our youngest went up to a number 3 as it was a similar flow to my breasts (I had over supply and forceful letdown. If it wasn't for that I'd have stuck with the number 1 nipple). As others have said, there are other ways for dh to bond, but I see that's not the only reason you want to do ebm. With our first I was the other mother. I was in charge of baths and nappies and rocked/bounced bub to sleep when he didn't fall asleep on my wife's breast. Bath time is a lovely fun relaxing time and I bathed with our first born every night for the first two years (until I was too pregnant to fit in the bath with him).
    I never used a manual pump. Mine does convert but I never bothered. I wonder if you're going to pump a full bottle every day, if you'd be better with an electric?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to lulululu For This Useful Post:

amyzbubblez  (01-04-2012)