+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How much does your cat/cats eat

We have 3 cats, well, 1 kitten and 2 adult cats. I swear they are constantly hungry or looking for food. They are fed twice daily, once in the morning and again in the evening. They have high quality kitten/cat biscuits with premium tinned food, fairly decent sized meals, but they still seem to scavange where they can. They carry on at every meal time like they haven't been fed for days, constantly trying to eat from their bowls while I am still serving their food, and when it isn't meal time, they are scavanging for scraps or trying to eat from my plate, and I mean every single meal, as soon as I sit down to eat, the cats are right by my side eyeing off my food. They are wormed, so I don't think that is the problem.

Anyway, is this normal cat behaviour? I have no idea as we have never owned cats before, these cats are my sisters, but as she is often out, I am pretty much the one feeding them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ours are the same. They carry on like pork chops, it's ridiculous. They'd never die quietly, that's for sure. They get about 1/2 cup dry food in the morning and 1/4 of a tin at night. And they're on the plump side.

Scavenging beasts!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

Littlemissmetal  (28-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I told mine off today. Every time I go to the kitchen he thinks it's to get food for him, and no other reason. He has been having 1 sachet of Whiskas Kitten for breakfast, given in 3 smaller serves or he eats too fast. He also has a full sachet at night. He has a small condiment dish of milk at least twice a day, but I get soft and give in to his demands too easily. He goes through 2 packs of Supercoat Kitten dry food each week, too. He's only 6 months old! Gotta love 'em, hey.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    Ours are the same. They carry on like pork chops, it's ridiculous. They'd never die quietly, that's for sure. They get about 1/2 cup dry food in the morning and 1/4 of a tin at night. And they're on the plump side.

Scavenging beasts!
    Oh glad to hear these cats aren't the only ones!
    I think I'm just so used to dogs! Being able to tell them to sit, and have them wait for their meals.. these cats are just out of control! lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My cats are the same! Ive got 2 adults and a kitty and honestly Im going nuts watching and listening to them scavenging for food. They get an entire bowl of biscuits in the morning and half a tin plus fresh cat mince every night! Theyre all quite plump and one of them literally eats his own fur off the carpet...its disgusting so I end up feeding them more biscuits His "Im so starving feed me again" strategy works! lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mine is a fully grown female.

She has one 85g tin of tuna each morning (she usually eats just over half), and a never ending supply of biscuits. I probably go through a box of Whiskers biscuits about once a month, so she really doesn't eat that many each day.

She tells me to feed her in the morning, bu she doesn't immediately eat it so I think she's just trying to make sure her food goes in the bowl before I go to work. Or maybe she just wants the hugs that come with breakfast

Either way, we've had her around 5 years, and I think she's pretty comfortable knowing she'll never be without food, so she doesn't really complain if that makes sense.

Also, she's at the heavier end of the healthy weight scale, if that helps.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My older cat puts on quite a performance about food. You would think she is starving. Even if there is food IN the bowl. Every time I move in her direction she starts up. She will sit beside the food bowl and stare. Then she will sit near me with her back to me. Then she will run between me and the food bowl, crying.

My other cat had to go on a diet as she was a tad tubby, she had trouble rolling all the way over. She would get stuck half way

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post: