+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Privacy issues online...

A few posts and threads have had me thinking about anonymity on public forums and internet safety in general...
    I notice lots if people talking about sometimes hugely personal and intimate things, which is great it's an
    anonymous forum.
    But then I notice the huge amount of identifying information which people give out freely as well such as photos of themselves, children etc..
    Given how this is a public forum which has many thousands of members with total strangers (or maybe your neighbour, employer, relatives or friends) always looking/lurking/following posts...

Do people think about this? Care? Not care? How do you protect your privacy online?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't post anything that I feel might be too personal

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alimia For This Useful Post:

babyla  (28-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I care. I'm pretty sure I'm anonymous here. I won't post in 'Reveal Yourself' threads for that reason.

Also, the few hubbers who I'm friends with on Facebook get to be friends with my lovely alter-ego instead of my real self (sorry guys). Although one of them FINALLY has the first letter to my first name

I'm what you might call paranoid ...

ETA - why is this in the nappy topics area?
    Last edited by Shoopuf; 28-03-2012 at 14:21.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

babyla  (28-03-2012),MissMuppet  (28-03-2012),MuminMind  (28-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've been stalked online before. I never reveal where I live, where I work or any photos that show who I am. I haven't even joined my due date group on fb. I'd like to be more open and relaxed but I don't want this person knowing anything more about me. In the past they have used fake gmail, fb and twitter accounts to harass me, so I don't think they'd scruple to set up a bh account for the same reason

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

babyla  (28-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    I care. I'm pretty sure I'm anonymous here. I won't post in 'Reveal Yourself' threads for that reason.

Also, the few hubbers who I'm friends with on Facebook get to be friends with my lovely alter-ego instead of my real self (sorry guys). Although one of them FINALLY has the first letter to my first name

Haha that's a really good question! On my phone and thought I'd posted in general chat.., not sure how to change it now though...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (28-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post

I don't think it is in any way paranoid.

Madame Mayhem is offline Who you are is who you should be, don't change for anyone
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I try to keep as unidentifiable as possible, Of course if someone wanted to find me and they dug far enough they could, and have before, but I will only post something that I am comfortable with people IRL potentially reading

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Madame Mayhem For This Useful Post:

babyla  (28-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Madame Mayhem View Post
    I try to keep as unidentifiable as possible, Of course if someone wanted to find me and they dug far enough they could, and have before, but I will only post something that I am comfortable with people IRL potentially reading
    I'm a bit the same. Sometimes I get the feeling people think this is a private space...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I don't give my real post code, my kids names and I have put up photos in the reveal thread but I remove them after about 2 hours.I try to be careful and no I don't think it's paranoid. As we all know recent events of the member that was dobbed on to her workplace and lost her job bc of stuff she had on here really cements that.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

babyla  (28-03-2012),MrJones&Me  (28-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm beyond the point of caring. I recognize this is a public forum, so I will only post what I am comfortable with the public knowing, if not I'll remove it shortly after I have received the answers/support I need.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (28-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (28-03-2012)