+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was a heavy weed smoker from the ages of 16-20. Once I turned 21 I was totally over it and I haven't (and would never again) touch the stuff.

I have tried some other drugs (a number of years ago), but nothing heavy like herion, crack or ice.

Ice didn't become popular until I was out of my teens, and I'm SO glad I never dabbled in it - what a scary drug.

I tried drugs for fun and because it was a big part of normal life where I grew up. I liked to party, and for a while I didn't really think you could party without either being drunk or on something.

I am really glad that I grew out of that kind of behaviour and mentality.

Drugs are bad, m'kay

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    Have you ever tried illegal drugs? Or do you know someone who has?

I am really, genuinely curious as to why people try them. I just find it really hard to understand.

I am hoping to gain a better insight into what might drive people to dabble in potentially harmful substances.

I guess I am wondering:

What was the decision process like in deciding to try it?

Did the potential for harmful effects enter into the equation?

Was peer pressure a factor?

Do you regret the decision?

Thanks so much for any insight you can offer. I understand that this is a sensitive topic, and really appreciate your input.
    20 years ago (hmmm showing my age, much?) I used quite a lot of drugs. Hence I've had to quote the original post, as otherwise I couldn't remember the questions

I know many others that take or took drugs too. Mostly took. Most of us have grown up and left the drugs in the past now.

Why? Curiosity at first. Adventure. I heard it was fun. Then once I'd tried them I knew they were fun so wanted to do it again and again! There wasn't a huge "process" involved in trying it. I was a pretty wild child so tried a lot of stuff, not just drugs, and took a lot of risks.

Was I concerned about harm? Yes and no. I was a teenager, so invincable of course. But I made sure I got drugs from trusted sources.
    I knew it was possible I'd have a "bad trip" or worse. I knew if you took to many E's and danced all night without drinking water you could get dehydrated or even have a heart attack. I knew some drugs were more addictive and so I chose to stay away from heroin and crack. I've seen the effects of ice and crocodil so I never touched them either. I knew sharing needles was risky so the one time I did that I went first (obviously its only an infectious disease risk for the second user). I used drugs with friends that would look after me if required, and would shout at me "breathe!" if I held my breath too long after sucking down a bulb. Occasionally I took drugs with acquaintances but found I didn't enjoy it as much, and often got paranoid.

No peer pressure.

My only regret is my memory isn't great. And I can never give blood because I've used IV drugs. I'm a universal donor (O-) so that just seems like a shame, but I understand their reasons. Nor can my partner, because she has had sex with me.

You didn't ask about present/future, but I'll tell you where I'm at anyway. I intended to have all drugs out of the house when the kids were born but had a tiny bit of pot (which was seriously 10 years old) which I didn't get around to getting rid of until after the youngest was born. It wasn't until the boys started hunting around in our draws I was motivated enough to get it out. So now there's no drugs in the house and won't be for a long time, if ever. I would still puff on a joint at a party but not much else as I'm a mum now. Maybe when the kids are older?

I'd be more inclined to stick with natural drugs now - pot, mushies, and other natural hallucinogens. I'm curious about the drug mentioned in this thread. Started with a... I've seen enough disgusting photos of drug labs to put me off pills and powders.

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Never smoked, never drank, never done drugs.

I simply wasn't from that type of family, nobody I knew smoked or drank or even spoke of it except of in terms of disgust. It was a lowly, dirty, filthy thing; to abuse yourself like that.

Hubby's parents, however, think life is made spicier by the addition of weed to a 13 year old's life, and he's done it quite heavily, up until he was about 18. He says he did it because everyone else in his family did it, he was drinking when he was 11, smoking by 12, drugs at 13, and that was the norm. It wasn't frowned upon and he wasn't told that other people did it any differently.
    When he was older he said he continued doing it because he was addicted to it already and it was too hard to stop.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    No I am and always have been a goody two shoes.

It is just something I never wanted to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I was 17 I smoked marijuana. This was a faze that lasted a year. Don't really know why I initially tried it tbh, good friends were doing it I so I did too I guess. I remember getting real sick from a smoke once that was laced with something so I later found out. This scared me and I smoke very little after that and then I met dh who didn't smoke it and then I didn't either. Don't miss it at all either and would never have it again and I'm very anti drug now. I have seen what many years of smoking pot, taking speed and whatever else my brother can get his hands on has done to him mentally. I also had a best friend who was a heroine addict and saw how it destroyed her life. Oh and the stories dh used to come home with during his days in the police force.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Marijuana and that's it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokey Pokey View Post
    Marijuana and that's it.
    Same here.

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Tried pot once, was boring so not again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes I have. The reason was pretty much for fun/to relax/try something new/because I enjoyed it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    Have you ever tried illegal drugs? Or do you know someone who has?

I am really, genuinely curious as to why people try them. I just find it really hard to understand.

I am hoping to gain a better insight into what might drive people to dabble in potentially harmful substances.

I guess I am wondering:

What was the decision process like in deciding to try it?

Did the potential for harmful effects enter into the equation?

Was peer pressure a factor?

Do you regret the decision?

Thanks so much for any insight you can offer. I understand that this is a sensitive topic, and really appreciate your input.
    Yep. Marijuana, speed, ecstasy, cocaine, crack and ketamine. Most people I know have at least smoked pot.

I tried it because I was curious. I was very anti drugs previously because of the harmful side effects, but figured just as many people suffer effects from cigarettes & alcohol so the risk for me was the same (yes I also drank & smoked). Peer pressure I think implies a bit of "go on, one won't hurt" but for me it was offered and I said yes. I don't consider that peer pressure.

I don't regret it at all. Aside from the crack (once & never again) I had an absolute ball. Some of the best nights of my life involved taking drugs. The day after was always a killer. But then hangovers suck as well & that never put me off drinking.

I haven't taken anything for many years. I drink occasionally & also no longer smoke. I guess drug taking no longer fits my lifestyle.

I'd do it again if I lived my time over but I probably won't touch illegal drugs again. Which actually makes me a little bit sad because it's not that I don't like them, just that I doubt I'll be in a position where I can and would have the freedom to do so.

Some people have awful experiences with drugs & I know that. I'm not naive. But my experience was positive.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

gemgem05  (17-08-2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast