Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    Well you've put it here and are making it your place. So why not tell her if you are THAT concerned for the children, cause that's your concern right?
    It's just these types of threads that annoy me to no end. 'I have a facebook friend who does this this and that' I mean really? It's nothing but cyber gossip. And stop being fake, if you're going to put it on a forum, bag her out, call her stupid and an abusive mother tell her to her face or take her off your friends list cause you're not a friend.

No one said they agree with what she's doing, but maybe she feels she has no options, maybe her teens are hard to deal with and the smoking is the least of what they get up to, maybe she needs help. You met her for 3 hours and seem to know alot about their lives?? It's the typical judgemental, gossiping parents who know better, some people have their own growing up to do.
    amen!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    Well you've put it here and are making it your place. So why not tell her if you are THAT concerned for the children, cause that's your concern right?
    It's just these types of threads that annoy me to no end. 'I have a facebook friend who does this this and that' I mean really? It's nothing but cyber gossip. And stop being fake, if you're going to put it on a forum, bag her out, call her stupid and an abusive mother tell her to her face or take her off your friends list cause you're not a friend.

No one said they agree with what she's doing, but maybe she feels she has no options, maybe her teens are hard to deal with and the smoking is the least of what they get up to, maybe she needs help. You met her for 3 hours and seem to know alot about their lives?? It's the typical judgemental, gossiping parents who know better, some people have their own growing up to do.
    Well Im glad I could annoy you so much. If you dont like it feel free to leave. Its not cyber gossip and not fake. I met her for the first time and in that 3 hours Im jsut saying what I learnt. And yes. I DO know better. Because I I BETTER than her because I would NEVER buy my child smokes. NEVER use that as a bride to get chorse done. Smoking is bad enough, but to freely allow your child to do it is pathetic. No options? what BS. Dont try and bring that cr@p to me like YOUR all that. I think your the one who needs to grow up. DOnt you dare accuse me of gossiping and being fake just because you feel annoyed.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleigh For This Useful Post:

bokkie_wotwot  (28-03-2012),Liddybugs  (28-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    I met someone on the weekend and found that she allows her two children (13 & 16) smoke. I was sooo taken back and disgusted by it.

They have smoking privlages. So if they dont clean their room, do chorese etc they get that privlage taken off them.

WTF? This is sooo wrong... Right? Please dont tell me Im the only one who thought this absoluely feral.. For lack of better wording....
    Unlike alcohol, parents are not legally allowed to provide their children with tobacco. I would probably point out to her that she is at risk of incurring a significant fine ($10,000 I think) for providing a ciggarette to a child, regardless of whether or not it is her child.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (28-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    Agreed.

This thread also has me speechless. I have frequently read on this forum how children under the age of 20 do not have a fully developed brain and are therefore unable to make adult decisions. Why does this not apply in this instance?

What if we replace the word 'cigarette' in this thread with the word 'alcohol'? Still okay? If not, then really what is the difference?
    Actually, legally it is okay for alcohol but not cigarettes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Call the police, not DOCS, its a $20,000 fine selling or supplying cigarettes to a child under the age of 18
    A friend of a friend caught her 14 year old smoking, she said her friends older sister bought them, so the mother called the local police station in front of the child and reported it! ( the police actually said its hard to prosecute unless they have a witness or catch them doing it but definitely can arrest them if they catch them
    as it is breaking the law!) it scared her daughter so much she reckons she has not smoked since!

Me personally, I the would not bother having her as a friend , not the kind of person I would want my kids associating with , I don't understand why some parents smoke , smoking with their kids is beyond me, i get that all kids try smoking ( i did but never ended up smoking) but as parents surely we should at least try and stop them? I would either send her a private message saying how I felt about it and if she gets cranky well like I said why bother associating with her?

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

bokkie_wotwot  (28-03-2012),Cleigh  (28-03-2012),Liddybugs  (28-03-2012),NancyBlackett  (28-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I definitely think its disgusting but I also remember what I was like as a teen. I started smoking at 14 and my mum didn't know till I was 15 but by then I had moved out so it wasn't up to her to decide what I did. If she had found out when I first started and was under her roof she couldn't have stopped me. I was able to buy smokes myself from a dodgy tobacconist or get older friends too. I would go out in the yard at night to smoke. So unless my mum had locked me in my room and not let me out of the house she couldn't have stopped me. Maybe this mum had tried and just can't get her 13 year old to stop? I don't agree with using them as rewards though. Maybe you could ask her what her reaction was when the 13 year old started smoking? Ask her if she tried to stop and if she wants help getting them to stop?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    So because its normal in today society it OK to let your child smoke? I can see people are saying its bad to use it as a bribe though.
    Please re-read my post, nowhere have I or anyone else that this is ok.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567