+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default what is your bottle feeding prep routine?

do you get bottles ready in advance? or at least put water in bottles in advance?
    how do you heat your bottles?
    do you boil water on the stove or use kettle?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wash and sterelise the bottles every arvo. I put the required amount of water in them then put them in the fridge. I also put extra water in a jug in the fridge just in case. I boil the water in the kettle. When making the bottles I heat the water in the microwave first... I shake it every now n then so it heats evenly. I then put the formula in n shake it. I heat the water before putting the formula in as ive heard that heating the water mixed with formula kills some of the nutrients.

Oh n during the day I have 2 feeding containers with seperated compartments so I dont have to spoon it straight out of the can, it takes longer.. with feeding containers you can just tip straight into the bottle. Theyre around 3 dollars n great for when you are out as well! I found it really helpful as it cut some time off getting his bottle ready with him crying for it. I also know that a lot of people make up flasks of formula for the day to make things easier. What ever works for you, Good luck! pm me if I have totally confused you, Im on my phone so hopefully I made some sense!

Sent from my U8510 using BubHub
    Last edited by Purple Lily; 28-03-2012 at 11:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We would wash them, rinse them, then pop them in the steam sterilizer.
    The put them on the rack to dry and cool down a bit.

Boil the water in the kettle and once it had cooled we would fill the bottles up with water ready for the next day. we did this once dd had gone to bed for the night so they were ready for any wake ups that night and they were ready for the next day.

When we needed to warm the bottles we would put the bottle with just water in it into the microwave, take it out and give it a good shake to make sure hot spots were gone, then we would add the formula an shake again.

Now that she is older (14 months old) we just wash the bottles in hot soapy water, rinse them and let them dry.
    Boil the kettle and let it cool before adding water for the next day.
    She only has 2 bottles a day now so it easier
    We still warm them up the same way too.

I was also breast feeding for the first year, so I would leave some bottles empty and take the expressed breast milk out of the freezer to let it thaw in the fridge for the next day, once thawed I would put it in the bottle and warm it by sitting it in a cup of boiling water from the kettle for a few seconds. Or just start expressing with the bottle attached to the pump and give it to dd.

We had a few latching issues ect.
    I did put her on the breast sometimes but in the end I gave up and expressed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Liddybugs; 28-03-2012 at 12:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry double post!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wash & sterilize before bed.

Fill half way with kettle boiled water.

Store in fridge. To heat boil kettle and fill other half of refrigerated bottle with boiling water. Makes perfect temperature.

Formula is pre-measured in a formula dispenser thingy.

Add, shake and ready to go.

Easy

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was doing it....

Wash all bottles at night and used mirowave steamer.
    Fill with boiled water from kettle and seal with cap and over. I stored on the kitchen bench. I always filled a spare bottle to the brim with spare water.
    Measured out formula in to dispenser.

My kids only ever had their bottles at room temp - made life a lot easier.

From about six months I stopped sterelizing bottles - but kept doing the teats just cause it cleaned them better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    With DD1 we prepared the full days worth of bottles and stored them in the fridge.
    With DD2 we only washed them and put water in them, then kept the measured out formula powder in formula canisters and would make the bottles up as we needed them.

We heated DD1s bottles in the microwave. With DD2 we gave it to her at room temperature.