+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Vicks chest rub

DD1 is 19 months old and has the worst cough/cold I have seen from any of our kids, she is unable to sleep unless sitting up, wont drink unless it's out of a straw so she doesn't have to tip her head back, this is the 3rd day and it doesn't seem to be moving out of her little system, my question is, my Vicks says not to use on kids under two, doesn't say why but is it really going to harm her with just a little bit on her back to help clear her nose out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is euky bearub for babies. I use this religiously when my son sick on his chest back and feet with socks on as it foes through his system from His feet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Vicks makes a baby version called 'baby balsam' that contains euc, lavender and rosemary. I bought mine at woollies. It was right next to the eucy rub in the baby section. They both seemed very similar.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kalgirl For This Useful Post:

GothChick  (28-03-2012),jacobsmamma  (28-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koop09 View Post
    There is euky bearub for babies. I use this religiously when my son sick on his chest back and feet with socks on as it foes through his system from His feet.
    Def use on her feet. I also like putting canpher blocks in the pillow cases too. They are about $3 from the chemist

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used vicks on DD before she was 2, but not on her body...I put some boiling water in a bowl, mixed in some vicks and left it in her room for half an hour before she went to bed...

Cleared her cold overnight...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use eukey bear rub also.. Very good👍👍

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I also use a vicks baby balsam and a Euky Bear vaporiser. The only problem with using the normal vicks rub, according to my pharmacist, is that it can cause irritation on younger babies skin. In hindsight, I probably would have tried it and see it it caused a problem....I wouldn't though if your baby is prone to ezcema (sp?) or skin allergies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have used Vicks on under two's when I have run out of Euky Bear rub, and it didn't have any adverse affects on the skin, but I did use it very sparingly as I didn't want it to burn the delicate baby skin. It is not recommended on under twos because of possible skin irritation on baby skin.

Have you tried a Vapourisor in the room and elevating the baby's mattress so she's sleeping on an angle, I find both those things work. Taking DD into the shower with you to get the steam on them might also help. I also like to use some Fess saline drops and those nose sucker aspirators to help clear out thick mucous and a little bit of massage on their backs and chest to help with the congestion.
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 28-03-2012 at 12:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yep - everything everyone else has said - especially on their feet!! I have only used the Baby Balsam - if you do use a vaporiser beware of what you put in them coz I was told by my pharmacist about the use of camphour (spelling) is bad for kids under the age of 5.
    I also got a hanky of mine and smeared some of the balsam on it and put it between the sheet so my boys head would get the vapours.
    definitely elevating the bed will help (as long as she's not a wriggler and spins around).
    The steam from the tub, then slather chest (both front and back) and feet.

hope she gets better soon!!