+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Caesarean under General Anaesthetic

Has anyone here had one of these? What was your experience like? How long was your recovery time?

I'm facing an induction due to mental illness for which I'm being treated. The baby is apparently automatically going to NICU due to the drugs I've been taking and I'm really baulking against an induction because the epidural I had last time left devastating results re bladder issues. It was also a very long labour due to the side effects of the drugs and given my present fatigue, the thought of facing that again leaves me anxious.

I'm so tired. Part of my present health condition features a lack of sleep for days on end and I'm at the point where I just want someone to give me a needle, knock me out, whip out the baby and voila. I know life isn't that simple but fantasising gives me relief at the moment.

If anyone has an opinion or comments to give I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

It sounds like you are doing it tough right now so wanted to send you these .
    I had a csec under GA due to complications and I had a 7 night stay in a public hospital. It was an extended stay not because of the csec but because of other things so your stay would probably be less. I was up out of bed the next day, my milk came in easily and after I was home I was catching public transport 2 days later. No doubt the recovery time was longer than a vb but I have no real complaints. I also didn't 'know any better' as that was my first birthing experience.
    You have quite a few factors (tiredness, physical fatigue, an MI exacerbated by a lack of sleep, past issues with an epidural) which would perhaps influence the decision. I guess I would be looking at whether you have good support to help look after the other child and how well your body copes with anaesthetic. Its not the easy route but its do-able.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (28-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is your reason for wanting the general just because of the past issues with the epidural - and did you have a v birth with that baby. The reason why I ask is I had a c-section with spinal block and found the recovery time great. My baby went to nicu because she was a premmie but I was wheelchaired In to see her within a few hours of having her and then was up and walking 5 or so hours later. Also, after 3 children a strong commitment to my pelvic floor exercises has seen me have little to no bladder issues.
    I think I read another one of your previous posts, and time and circumstance prevented me from commenting. I also have suffered from depression and subsequent insomnia my whole life. Tis why I find myself replying to you at 4 in the morning lol. I found temazapine works best for me although I can only have it for a few months then flush the system and start again as it is addictive and I find long terms stops working as good. I hope you are feeling well and take comfort in you will soon have a little bundle of joy to take your mind off things for a while.
    If you ever need to talk - just send me a pm
    Lots of love and good vibes
    Karisha xoxox

5. The Following User Says Thank You to karisha For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (28-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought I would never say this (because when I hit problems I tough them out and they've never debilitated me as such) but I'm finding it extremely tough going at present. I just can't get a handle on this 'thing' that has hit me, whatever it is. The anxiety I experience while trying to sleep is as though I've swallowed a vine. I put my head down and it strangles me...I have to get up and the small hours of the morning pass as I read, watch tv, pace or toss and turn.

Nothing I do allows me to get to sleep - even the drugs are hopeless. They make me groggy and my DH says I wander and whisper to myself under my breath. He is especially worried I won't be able to cope with the newborn and is frustrated with the psychs who just say, oh, wait until after the birth, you'll be right. I am presently being pressured to have an induction but I'm thinking I'm so f*cking tired even with an epidural I won't be able to last long. I'm a bloody limp rag as it is. And it mortifies me as, being that I quietly look upon myself as being a strong person, my feelings of hopelessness are doubled as I am reduced to a pathetic mess with chronic insomnia, feeling like sh*t and just generally wanting to throw the towel in.

It took me 4 days to recover from my vaginal birth during which I had no bladder control (nothing to do with pelvic floor exercises), partial paralysis and bits of placenta still coming through among other things.

My reason for wanting the general is that, quite plainly, is that I'm bone tired and ragged from the drugs. I can't express that enough. It's a fatigue I have never known. It's taking me ages to type this as it is. I'm just exhausted and spent. I can't even cry anymore. And I am very worried about my baby because this thing that has hit my head is getting worse.

I can't describe all of it as I find words difficult to do this properly with but some of what my head experiences is akin to being chased by a demon. I use a demon as a comparitive thought because it's supernatural for a start so people are able to imagine how freaky that is, you can't see it, which is also freaky, it's chasing you which is freakier, it has you where it wants you and you can't do a damn thing about it...and this concept just escalates in this jagged spiral of fight or flight. I talk myself down from this which does work but it's exhausting. I sweat with concentration.

With the induction anything that could've happened did (labour cessation, excessive pain relief, intervention by the midwives sticking their fingers into me every minute of the bloody labour, huge doses of induction drugs, forceps, episitomy, the list goes on...) and I just simply don't want to endure that again. The mere thought of it wilts me. I am a big believer in Nature taking its course and am prepared to wait for baby to arrive (even if the Obs isn't) but when that moment occurs I'm thinking more and more than being knocked out (so I can sleep!!!) is becoming a more and more attractive idea. I don't care if people see this as me being a bad mother. I have a brilliant DH who would be there for the baby and a supportive relationship to boot and the way my child enters the world just isn't a priority other than he arrives safely and alive.

I am yearning for the day when I get to hold my new baby but he's not here yet so I can't relax as anything could happen. Instead, I am trying to look for ways that will make his entry into the world less frightening (for the both of us) and I am hoping that a caesarean under general might be one of them.

Thank you both for writing. I truly appreciate it.
    Last edited by Caviar; 28-03-2012 at 06:30. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have no experience with caesareans under GA but I really don't think anyone will think you are a bad Mum because of it. Just reading that made me feel exhausted! And I know technically you don't do anything during caesareans but I still found both of mine mentally/emotionally exhausting.

Hugs and hopefully it all works out for you.

futureherder is offline Child led parent here...save me :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    If bubs already has to go to the NICU I would be making sure there are no health implication for bubs as a GA may cause some complications. You could get a spinal instead of an epi which carries different risks. If I was in your position I would put everything aside and focus what's best for bubs and you medically (excluding mental health) and then weigh it up with how you would cope with the best case scenario and go from there. Taking in to consideration how you would cope with recovery too.

these are such hard decisions but as long as you and bubs are both healthy on the other side who cares how you get there. While I would have loved to have DD vaginal I really don't care that she got here via csection. I wished I could have breastfeeding her straight away and will to the day she dies, just as I know I would miss not seeing her arrive if I had a GA but life goes on and we are tough cookies. The fact that she is health and so am I and that I get to wake up to her each day is number 1.

I was having to make decisions regarding my choice of birth also. At one stage it was a decision between vaginal and csection and after everything I had been through mentally I spoke with my OB about a csection regardless even though I wanted a vaginal birth. In the end the decision was made for me but I still remember the feeling in my guts and heart when having to decide. As a parent making these very important decisions and it is all apart of the job but I truly sympathize with you having to make this decision and before you have even meet bubs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just an update. Was refused a general and a caesarean and was slated for an induction despite my pleas.

However, much to my surprise, ended up having an emergency caesarean when they put a trace on the baby as part of a routine check and found the heartbeat abnormally high.

(I had a 4.2kg boy, strong and healthy).

I don't regret having the caesarean as the procedure was straightforward and proved to be of a profound relief to me. Particularly now as I have hit the wall and am trudging up that PND road, I am grateful for fate stepping in.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

2BabyBears  (03-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations! Did they give you a GA? How are you feeling now? I hope you have been able to get some sleep since giving birth, Wishing you all the best.

I had a GA ceaser with my first child after a 12 hour induced labor where we both ended up in distress. I woke up blank in recovery but the anesthetist quickly gave me a run down that I had a baby girl and then my memory came rushing back, although I had morphine for the pain I was very alert and found it difficult to sleep from the hype of having a baby and I felt no grogginess from the GA or the pain relief drugs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I didn't have a general anaesthetic. I was refused. I was also refused a caesarean. However, fate intervened and I had an emergency caesarean which worked well mentally for me.

I hit the wall on the first night though and it was only that I was connected to a catheter that I didn't go running down the hallway. I didn't sleep for 2 days and finally the hospital provided the medication I'd had while in treatment at the psych facility. I then slept for 15 hours.

The caesarean itself was great. I am recovering very well surgically, minimal pain medication and my baby arrived safely. But I'm still quite anxious, still fearful, still sad, still cry at the drop of a hat, still have difficulty sleeping and it's really got me by the short and curlies.

So I can't tell you I feel great. I am simply taking each day at a time.

earthfairy is offline Winner 2009 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    In Antarctica for 12 months.... I mean Tassie!!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    congrats Caviar... this is wonderful news to hear of your gorgeous boy, and a nice size too! My first DD was 4.37kg...c-section too.
    I am happy that you also got to at least have part of the birth you wanted.

TBH, I've had 2 c-sections and my 2nd was knocked out half way through due to complications & it was scary! I feel like I missed out on things that I know I can never go back to. I was fearful reading your initial posts about wanting a GA - that down the track, it may be something you regretted.
    I am happy you were awake & in the present moment when your little one was welcomed into the world.

Be kind to yourself, and know that if you need any support or advice, please pm myself...... enjoy your baby & look after yourself.

Lots of love to you

EF x