+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post

Sometimes I think that people just want to be heard, they want to feel important, they want their opinion to matter to feel valid and that is all fine and it's a great thing but not when it's at the expense at ripping someone else's POV apart. We aren't talking about murder here we are talking about opinions on life, politics and parenting. Take a deep breath and move on.

With that said I think many people also frequent forums because they are bored and boredom does some crazy stuff. Makes you feel passionate about something that rarely crosses your mind. Hell Im here cause Im bored.
    The debates Ive had on here are just funny sometimes I mean there is no way I would even bother discussing half this stuff in real life.
    Haha couldn't agree more!! Glad someone finally said it

Madame Mayhem is offline Who you are is who you should be, don't change for anyone
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I respect that people are entitled to thier opinion and to make their own choices, but I don't have to respect the ones they have or make
    Last edited by Madame Mayhem; 28-03-2012 at 08:42.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madame Mayhem For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (28-03-2012),Zombie_eyes  (28-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    An opinion does not need to be based on anything other than what s person 'thinks' or often more likely 'feels' on a subject. My opinion doesn't need to be based in fact or truth, it may be supported by it but it is still only based on my interpretation of the facts, it is entirely subjective. So you can't tell someone their opinion is wrong because it's their opinion. Trying to re-educate others because you think their opinion is wrong or because you think your interpretation of the facts is the
    only interpretation is arrogant IMO
    The thing is, peoples opinions CAN be wrong. Plenty of times people base their opinions on word of mouth 'facts' that can easily be proven to be incorrect. It's not interpretation. Some things are flat out incorrect, like when people claim that some people get payments that they don't, or subsidies refugees apparently get. Can easily be proven as wrong.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (28-03-2012),Benji  (28-03-2012),Guest654  (28-03-2012),MissMuppet  (28-03-2012),Zombie_eyes  (28-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    From wiki definition of 'opinion'
    'In general, an opinion is a subjective belief, and is the result of emotion or interpretation of facts. An opinion may be supported by an argument, although people may draw opposing opinions from the same set of facts. Opinions rarely change without new arguments being presented. However, it can be reasoned that one opinion is better supported by the facts than another by analysing the supporting arguments.[1] In casual use, the term opinion may be the result of a person's perspective, understanding, particular feelings, beliefs, and desires. It may refer to unsubstantiated information, in contrast to knowledge and fact-based beliefs.'

In my opinion - if you are going to enter in a heated discussion and state your 'opinion' as basis for an argument - prepare to have it challenged and be prepared to back it up... It's not fair to hide behind an opinion.
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 28-03-2012 at 08:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good stuff 5itb!
    People often use the opinion card to back up something offensive. "gay people are gross! That's my OPINION. You can't say it's wrong. Free speech"! Etc.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No I don't respect all choices.

And I won't tolerate "it's my opinion!" being used to justify a vulgar opinion about something.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    There are certain things that I think are just unacceptable (ie. child abuse, rape, racism etc etc) and would not respect someones opinion or think it was a valid opinion.

Oustide of that I think everyone is entitled to an opinion and should be able to express their opinion.

I think ppl who do not possess the ability to express that opinion without insulting, offending or demeaning an alternative opinion is uneducated and rude.

I believe certain ppl in society who hold influencial/public position in the media, sports, entertainment, politics etc have a duty of responsibility to express their opinions in an appropriate manner (infact I think everyone who is a decent person should - but I think it is negligable when these ppl fail to do so).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    The thing is, peoples opinions CAN be wrong. Plenty of times people base their opinions on word of mouth 'facts' that can easily be proven to be incorrect. It's not interpretation. Some things are flat out incorrect, like when people claim that some people get payments that they don't, or subsidies refugees apparently get. Can easily be proven as wrong.
    Couldn't agree more, if it's an irrefutable fact then it's not an opinion it's a fact.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MumDadBoyandGirl View Post
    Everybody is different.. Right? We say that we respect each others opinions and choices.. But the feeling I'm getting lately is that we don't.
    I have to COMPLETELY agree with this.

I don't believe there are many who actually respect others opinions when they are different to their own. What right do I have to challenge your opinion even if I KNOW you are wrong? If you believe something then you believe it full stop. Whether it's bad or good (which btw is in the eyes of the beholder), no one has the right to challenge you or try to change your mind about what your choices or beliefs are.

I guess the line should be drawn when it becomes detrimental to others especially if it's intentional.

It's a fine line I guess ... I don't agree with certain things in which my sister raises her daughter but who the heck am I to butt in? She's clothed, fed, loved etc and she's not neglected or hurt so what right do I have to jump in and tell my sister how she should be doing her job?

Just my opinion ..

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FirstTimeMummy2012 For This Useful Post:

MumDadBoyandGirl  (28-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is unfortunate so many people are disrespectful these days toward others. I have been educating myself for years on vaccination issue and know that I still don't know everything. I read medical journals, scientific papers, natural therapy articles, government studies etc. and it amazed me that people with nearly no information think they know enough about this issue to attack others and to also vaccinate their children. I am guessing it all gets down to fear. Education conquers fear!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brizmumma For This Useful Post:

FirstTimeMummy2012  (28-03-2012),Nicky2006  (28-03-2012)