+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MumDadBoyandGirl View Post
    What makes something an untruth? When there is a difference between a government and a university in relation to, for example, autism, preservatives, home schooling what makes one right over the other? If you agree with the university are you wrong? If you question the government are you wrong?
    Many things are known to be truth or fact and others have been disproven. Then there's a lot of things that are unproven theories. People argue about theories and surprisingly also about facts.
    A university is generally in the pursuit of knowledge. if you agree with the university you are probably right. If you question the government you are probably right too

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lulululu For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (27-03-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Most of the time yes, there are a few things I just can't accept someone choosing to do (talking about parenting things here- ric for example). I do stand by 'If your going to make a choice, at least make it an informed one' though and I try to encourage people to inform themselves (and no I don't mean by using Dr Google lol).

tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    No, definitely not. I mean, that's such a broad statement. Some people choose to murder! From a parenting perspective I generally do, but with some definite exceptions such as vaxxing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I respect peoples choices on some things such as CIO/Bottle or breast/ Circ or not

But I do not respect people's choices to be nasty to their child or anyone else for that matter, I don't respect peoples choice to drink or smoke during pregnancy (I'm not talking about 1 glass of wine) I don't suppor people's choices to not use carseats or to whinge about not being able to afford groceries when they can still afford cigarrettes and alcohol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it is one thing to have a different opinion and another thing wanting to change the whole world, preferably with the sledge hammer. Of course it sickens me to see a pregnant woman smoking. But I think it is dilusional to assume that I will tell her my mix of opinion, knowledge and belief and she will drop her cigarette and say 'thank you for enlightening me. I will never do such a thing again'. More often than this happening, nasty fights start and nobody is happy...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicky2006 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (28-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pretty much this for me:

Depends for me. If it is an opinion based upon misinformation, little education and has no basis in fact, then if I have the education and factual information, I am going to challenge that opinion.
    But it depends on what it is. For example, I read a thread in here the other day about a child's name someone had chosen for their daughter and the view was that she had spelled it incorrectly. Even though I could see where they were coming from, the gale of intense criticism directed at the OP that followed left me breathless.

So sometimes, even if you are right, it's still the best outcome to shut up anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's human nature to not respect all ppls choices and as per a previous thread tonight human nature to judge. What makes us all different is how we take those choices on board, learn from them and deal with them.
    BH is a great forum to be able to vocalise our opinions on said choices although as a new member I do find it disheartening to see so many ppl victimised for their choices.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to karisha For This Useful Post:

MumDadBoyandGirl  (28-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This being a forum for parents/ want to be parents I think the discussion should be kept in context, there is no doubt that there are atrocities in this world. However you would argue ppl come here to be the best parents they can be, learn and be supported.

I'm of the opinion that if you want to home school, vaxx, non vaxx, homebirth, formula feed, breast feed name your child light bulb then that's ok.. It's not my place to persecute or dig at you.

I'm educated, I research but I do not believe I'm better than anybody else. My want is to provide an open mind for my child. If a man told you that you don't have a right to a choice or opinion would you be ok with that?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MumDadBoyandGirl For This Useful Post:

Nicky2006  (28-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We are told that - we don't have a choice to break laws. And, despite people's constant talk about "free speech" we do actually have to follow anti-discrimination laws and cannot start websites on illegal certain illegal activities nor could we make hate speeches.

I have no idea what sparked this thread but IMO debate is how people learn. I do not tolerate bullying. I believe if I told someone, for example, that they are not really homosexual they're just in denial, I'd expect some feedback!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    An opinion does not need to be based on anything other than what s person 'thinks' or often more likely 'feels' on a subject. My opinion doesn't need to be based in fact or truth, it may be supported by it but it is still only based on my interpretation of the facts, it is entirely subjective. So you can't tell someone their opinion is wrong because it's their opinion. Trying to re-educate others because you think their opinion is wrong or because you think your interpretation of the facts is the
    only interpretation is arrogant IMO
    Last edited by babyla; 28-03-2012 at 08:17.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Nicky2006  (28-03-2012)