+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did a BA, but never received much career guidance from ANYONE - none at school, none from my parents, none from the uni - had no idea who to ask, and didn't really know anyone else doing a BA. I know now that I could have got a job in public service or something like that, if I'd known what and how to get it. I was an intelligent but incredibly naive at 20. I did the BA because I didn't know what else I wanted to do, then didn't know what to do with it.

I went on to do my teaching qualifications because it was something I'd always been half interested in doing, and I knew it would be good job to have if I had children and wanted to go back to work. I don't regret having done teaching, but sometimes I wish I'd done another job for a bit first.

But if I can rant a bit about Arts degrees....
    I hate that people put down Arts degrees. BA doesn't stand for Bugger All, and it doesn't stand for Be Anything (although, maybe if you can become PM of Australia with 'just' a BA it could stand for 'Be Anything). It's a genuine degree. I had to work just as hard to get my degree as my sister did to get her IT degree, and just as hard as I had to work to get my Education degree. (Actually, If I had worked harder I might have got the good results she did )My sister used to give me grief when we were at uni because she would have a minimum of 30 contact hours a week and I would have a maximum of 16, therefore obviously I didn't have to work as hard. No, she completed the majority of her study in practicals and tutorials, while I was reading a novel or two a week, or huge slabs of textbooks, or researching for and writing essays.

Also, university has become more about getting job training than getting an education, which are not the same thing. My education has been incredibly valuable to me, though not in employment terms. I believe my BA has made me a better teacher, a better parent, a better citizen, a better member of my church. (Not better than other people. Better than I would have been otherwise.) I think society would be better off if we valued education as much as we valued getting a good job.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Susan Mac For This Useful Post:

bookwormmum  (28-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @ Susan Mac, I totally agree.

tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have two arts degrees (BA and MA) and I've never heard of anyone calling it a Bugger All!

I majored in PR and Organisational Communication for my BA and Organisational Communication in my second. I worked in PR, internal communications, government relations and marketing for 12 years. I now own and run a PR and marketing agency with clients in Australia, Singapore and Hong Kong and we manage projects all over the world. I have three contractors working for me. Arts degrees are awesome