+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Career options for a Bachelor of Arts?

I'm studying Bmid at ACU at the moment... and I'm liking it okay, it's interesting and all, but it's proven just too hard to keep doing with the kids. I'm so upset about it I'm constantly missing classes. We just can't afford child care and I'm so sick of getting home after uni to a huge mess of a house and grumpy DH from dealing with the kids, it doesn't seem worth it. I have a test tomorrow I have hardly studied for and a compulsory class on thursday that I have no choice in missing and losing the marks for because DH has a doctors appointment.

I don't really want to, but I think the best thing for the kids and for my sanity is to withdraw

I love studying so I'd enrol in another course online, looking at the website what I'm most drawn to is a Bachelor of arts, but I'm not sure what kind of career options would that give me? Any advice? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did a Bachelor of Arts in history and ended up working in customer service. Now I'm studying law externally to give me more career options. I loved studying arts though, it was very interesting.

Other friends did different majors and all have wildly different jobs. Some are very high paying and very successful.

What you major in makes a big difference, as does your GPA and whether you do honours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What sort of major are you thinking about?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know a friend that did bachelor of arts and ended up as a book editor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd major in either history and politics or communications... can't decide!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Depends what you major in really...

I started a BA with a double major of history and politics- I wanted to do post-grad study to research, and teach. Then I realised it wasn't really practical or suitable for me, so I changed to a Bach in Comminication majoring in marketing and it was a better fit.

TBH- I don't know many people with a BA who have really exciting careers relevant to their degree, unless they've done post-grad study or a double degree...
    Last edited by Luna Lovegood; 27-03-2012 at 17:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have a BA and a law degree. I really loved my BA - it was the more interesting of the two, but I think having the law degree has helped me in my job more.

There's always the public service (I know of a number of BA graduates there).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTrooperVagiDuper View Post
    People constantly underestimate the power of a BA degree. Kevin Rudd only had an Arts degree.
    Wow, really? Didn't know that!

It seems like most people have gone on to do post-grad study after a BA... not sure if that's what I want, that could take me ages.
    I'm also considering a Bachelor of Business, probably major in marketing, which will probably bore me to tears but I could probably get a good job through DH's work. Hmm...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a BA. I work in the public service. My degree was not required for my job but I think the things I learnt at uni have been helpful overall with my job/career.

My friend who did a BA with me went on to do a teaching degree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    People I know with arts degrees have public service, research, media jobs etc.

I did 2/3+ of an arts degree (media studies major) and I admit I did have a mild freak out one day as I thought I would end up working in Myer, and changed to law.

I regret not finishing it, as I think there is potential for interesting careers, but probably fewer direct job opportunites.