+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Low Platelets Late Pregnancy

Does anyone know anything about low platelets and and at what count they'll refuse an epidural?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know sorry MissPoss. I had low platelets at about 20 weeks, but it resolved on its own by the time labour came around.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable comes along to help you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had low platelets due to pre-eclampsia and the hospital I delivered at wouldn't give an epidural if they dropped below 95. I hope yours pick up. What are they at the moment?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think my hospital's cut off was a level of 100. Anything below that and you couldn't have an epidural.

I had pre-eclampsia and HELLP syndrome and my levels got down to 58 on the day I gave birth. (Was first detected with a level of 72 the day before) I wasn't allowed any intramuscular injections either so that ruled out pethidine as well. If a c-section had been needed it would have been done under general anaesthetic. I got by with gas and a trial morphine-like drug given by IV where I pressed a button whenever I felt I needed it and it would last long enough for a contraction. Sorry, I don't know the actual name of it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My platelets at my last blood test, which was performed a week ago, were 113. Two weeks before that they were 136, so I'm guessing they're already below 113 now.

I feel in a real pickle. I herniated a lumber disc last weekend and was in hospital for 3 days. It's still quite tender and I have sciatica from it. To make things worse my bub is posterior. I'm bring induced this Thursday because of PE symptoms, and I'm terrified of doing this without an epi. If they can't give me an epi I honestly have no idea what I'm going to do. Posterior labour with a herniated disc without pain relief terrifies me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    An average person has levels of 150-400. However you can "survive" on 80. You have probably developed ITP in pregnancy which typically resolves itself after bub is born.
    I have perminate ITP. My levels have dropped down to 6. I was put on steroids to boost them back up which is the normal course of action when they drop low. They are currently at 156. Which my OB is happy with. But if they fall to 20 again I'll be having a transfusion. Vbac delivery is planned. They have not mentioned allowance of epi or not and at every appointment the ITP is the major thing we talk about

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd feel much better (maybe) if I knew exactly what my level is now. I had another BT done yesterday afternoon, so they'll have the results on Thursday when I go in, but I'd really like to know now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister in law has a very low platelet count and because of having an emergency caesarian and a general with her first bub, they will be putting her on steroids for the last 2 weeks of pregnancy to boost her count. If you want you should discuss steroids with ur doc tomorrow! Apparently the steroid use can only be given short term so it might just help before ur EDD. Hope this helps, good luck!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by haylithan View Post
    My sister in law has a very low platelet count and because of having an emergency caesarian and a general with her first bub, they will be putting her on steroids for the last 2 weeks of pregnancy to boost her count. If you want you should discuss steroids with ur doc tomorrow! Apparently the steroid use can only be given short term so it might just help before ur EDD. Hope this helps, good luck!!!
    That would be great if they could do that, but I'm being induced tomorrow at 8am. Im looking forward to it all being over, but still scared about the next 24 hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mispos the steroids I'm on are predisone. I've been on it my entire pregnancy so 6 months now and I've had high and low doses. I've been told by both my hematologist and OB that this is safe due to my ITP
    Good luck