+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Car Seat vs Booster? HELP!

DS is 18mo and we need to get him a new car seat. I was advised to get a 'convertable booster' (eg. SNS maxi rider) which would suit him right up to 26kg. But I did some research and apparently it is a horrible seat to use in booster mode. So I'm thinking of just getting another convertable baby seat (birth-18kg). My question is, do they really last until the child is 4 years old? Can you go straight from a convertable baby seat to a booster (4-8 years)?

DS is currently in a SNS convertable baby seat and I just can't see it fitting him at 4 years old. Is it possible that he may outgrow it and require a 'convertable booster' to fill the gap between baby seat and booster?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What will you do once the child is 4? You will still need to have him in a booster, so I would go with a convertable booster option. My DS2 has been in his infa comfi-cruiser convertable booster since he was around 18months, he is now 2.5 and still has plenty of room to grow in it, can still go up 2 shoulder notches and he is quite a big/tall boy. My stepson turned 4 last December and he still fits in the comfi-cruiser(he is also taller then average) with the shoulder straps on the top notch, though if I were to have him in there permanetely I would remove the 5point harness and use a H strap instead (he has his own booster so no need to)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks Milktini. Basically I'm trying to decide whether to get a convertable car seat and then a booster, or go for a convertable booster. I've just read a lot of reviews saying that convertable boosters in 'booster mode' are no where near as good as plain boosters. In fact, most reviewers said they went and bought a normal booster to use instead! Something about the lapstrap/belt that the convertable booster uses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I bought a HiPod Senator convertible booster when my son was 3 1/2, because we needed another car seat and the laws were about to change so I couldn't put him in a booster yet. I was expecting to use the seat until he was 7. He reached 18kg somewhere between 4 and 4 1/2, and then outgrew the booster seat mode just after he turned 5, so we had to get another seat anyway. He's pretty much on the 50th percentile for both height and weight.

18kg is roughly 4yo, going on average weight. My poor DS2 is probably going to be 7 before he gets to 18kg, he's so little!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we have way too many car seats for our 2 DD's but they all suit different stages and with their age gap there'll never be an overlap of stages

newborn - capsule
    baby - sns royale
    toddler to 4 - maxi rider
    4+ - sns hi-liner