+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default IVF to avoid hereditary condition?

I'm currently not TTC, just trying to get as much information I can so I can be informed for my future.

I have a hereditary condition that has a 50% chance of being passed on to my children. It would be a lot more severe for them than me, and I don't want to put them through that.

Is there anyone else on this forum using IVF for this reason, to avoid a debilitating condition? If so, does medicare cover any of these costs or do they only cover costs if there are conditions preventing me from becoming pregnant?

Thanks for any help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi I'm not in your situation but I'm almost positive that IVF with gender selection or PGD would have Medicare rebates for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks 4underfour,
    From research, it seems like PGD would be what I need. But I've also come across something saying that PGD isn't covered.....which would be ridiculous, as in the long run it reduces the incidence of medical conditions, thereby, saving the government money....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Laniani- You're right: PGD isn't covered by Medicare. The IVF component is partly covered. So you're roughly looking at $3000 on top of a normal IVF cycle to do PGD. It does get expensive. My husband has a chromosome issue that can be selected for with PGD, but in the end we just decided to risk it and do an amnio at 15 weeks as we couldn't afford multiple PGD cycles. I agree that it seems crazy that Medicare doesn't help with PGD when it could save money down the track...
    You'd be best to speak to an IVF clinic if you wanted exact figures on costs, Medicare and health insurance rebates etc as every clinic is so different. The frustrating thing about IVF and PGD is even after paying out all that money there is not guarantee of success. Some ladies on here who are doing/did PGD might be able to fill you in a bit more on the details.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Vesper. Great information. Going to be a few years before I meet with IVF clinics, but you're right, they're the best source of information.

I tried to do a search on PGD but couldn't find anything

EDIT: Found the PGD threads, thank you
    Last edited by laniani; 27-03-2012 at 21:38.