+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Other single parents - do you share accommodation?

I recently rented out a spare room in my house to a friend of a friend who needed accommodation in the area. Although it helps financially, I very much regret letting this guy move in now. I can't stand him and think he is a loser.

He didn't sign a lease or anything, I basically just said 'yeah I guess it will be ok' when my friend mentioned he needed accommodation.

But this guy basically is what I'd call 'an extreme male' and basically everything about him drives me insane.... He is 35 yet quit his job to go back to uni for 3 years yet has no money and is now relying on government payments... Lying about rent he pays and quit his casual job because 'it reduces his gov payments'n

He never goes out at night and decides to cook his dinner at 5pm when I'm trying to get DS's dinner ready... 5pm!

Hes only been here 5-6 weeks... I can't just ask him to move out can I?? Seems cruel but I just have too much on my plate ATM without him hanging around all the time.

Anyone else share? And go you find it challenging with children?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Just wanted to edit and say its not working out. With 1 person yes but not with the other.
    Last edited by Myztiks#1Fan; 27-03-2012 at 13:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think you can just tell him to move out. Just give him 1-2 weeks notice.

I am about to start sharing. Im renting the whole bottom level of a house and just need to go upstairs at night time to cook dinner. I've shared kitchens before when i went travelling and lived in hostels so i think if thats the only time i see the others i should be fine.

If you arent confrotable with him there then definitely get rid of him. As you said, he hasnt signed a lease so you havent agreed to stick to a certain period of time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont share but am considering taking in a foreign student for extra $$ and they dont stay for a long tim!- or there may be some short term rooms needed by medial students etc... needing to do pracs in yoru town.

You have sooo many excuses you could use to get rid of him-

your lease is nearly up
    the RE found out hes stayign there and has said he has to go as hes not on the lease you signed
    Centrelink found out and will cut your payments as they are assuming your a couple
    your attracted to him and dont want to ruin the friendship and its too difficult for you to have him living there
    your mums coming to stay for 6 months and need the room
    or just start doing 'loopy' stuff -meditate loudly right outside his room at 5am - or ask him to go to relationship counselling with you- just anything that may scare him off and make him realise hes better off elsewhere.

but if hes making things harder/uncomfortable for you then get rid of him- your definatly entitled to do so and better off to do it sooner than later.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've shared with several people. It's soooooo much different when you have a child, things you could tolerate before are now intolerable. Just tell him it isn't working out and he needs to find somewhere else to live.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks respondees... I felt a bit bad after posting this but I really do think I need to come up with an excuse to get him out. Although it's a big house, I just don't think it's big enough for the two of us. I am disgusted by the fact he is so irresponsible at his age and I guess I just assumed he's be out a lot of an evening being a single male and all... He is quite negative and very opinionated about things he really knows nothing about and it saps my energy. I just wish he'd leave me alone rather than go around making stupid comments. He also watches the football really loudly in his room and it booms through the house - hate football!!

The funny thing is, I think he thinks he's quite a catch, and I think my friend thought this too and was maybe trying to set us up - how wrong she could be. I'm worried the family assistance office might assume we're in a relationship too. Should have thought this through much more before letting him move in....

Ahhh it feels good to let off steam - I've been bottling it up I think! I realise now how nice and peaceful it is just DS and I, and the puppy, and the cats in this house.... sharing is not easy!! Makes me miss my ex actually - he was so easy to live with and far more responsible than I ever realised <sigh>

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have shared for short periods of time with my mum since becoming a single mum. It didn't worry me but my mum hated it

Thanks
    Reviews
    PS. No it's not my house, but sort of is as I grew up in this house but am now renting it off my Mum who's the owner. So it's kinda my house yeah, but no lease as such...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I rent out 2 back rooms to 2 mates. I set the ground rules before they moved in: the kitchen is mine between 5-6.30pm, they can have mates over whenever they like but preferably on the night ds is not here, clean up after yourself cause I ain't your mama, if you want to use the washing machine do so on the cold cycle, those 2 shelves in the fridge are for you-use them and clean them, don't give my child food without asking me first. They have both been great- 1 in particular who hides in his room from 7pm. He smells a bit but I can ignore that when I hardly see him.