+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Camping

We are taking our DD (2.5) and DS (10mths) camping over Easter. We have camped before but before the kids were born. I'm worried about the kids getting cold as the temperature here (Victoria) has already dropped a lot of overnight the last week or so. What do your kids sleep in so that don't wake through the night cold?

Also if you have any suggestions on things to take beside the obvious (tent, esky, food etc) that would be great? We will be in a remote area with no toilets, showers or shops close by.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm going camping with my little man over easter as well. While it may not be as cold here as vic, wat I generally do is make sure he is wearing plenty of layers before bed, including a sleeping bag (the ones they wear). Just put a light blanket on him if its not too cold at his bedtime, then have extras to put on top when I go to bed. Also, if u have either in a porta cot, I've heard people suggest putting a blanket over the mosquito net to keep the warmth in.

One thing I suggest taking is a playpen, especially for when ur settimg up/packing away, or other times when u cant be completely eyes on.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    we have those connnectable camping mats that we place under our tent to help stop the cold coming up through the ground, it also helps stop the damp creeping in. Other than that all I've ever done is heaps of blankies and having them dressed warmly especially socks. My youngest when he was little slept in the swag with me and his dad, he always sleeps great out camping. Have fun camping, Im jealous wanted to go camping for easter but it's just too wet up here.
    Oh yer I'd also take my bub's jolly jumper and usually manage to get OH to set it up on a branch in camp before all the unpacking began, kept him happy and busy while everyone else was.
    Last edited by mixinitup; 27-03-2012 at 06:41. Reason: ETA

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm interested to know too, we are starting to think about camping again (also haven't since before the kids were born) and this is one of my worries.

We have two 3/4 length Thermarests that they will use to sleep on (3 & 4yo)... these stop the cold coming up from the ground, which is one of the worst sources, they need to be well insulated underneath. They are ours, so we will have to get something else to sleep on lol

Fingers crossed the night time temps pick up for easter, its like winter here atm!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thermal pjs and a sleeping bag. preferably an air mattress to keep them up off the ground. Are you taking a porta cot for the bub?? We didnt (ds was 11 months), we had DS on a yoga mat INSIDE a sleeping bag, this stopped him rolling around and ending up on the cold ground. (we're in perth though so was warmer here).

Dont forget their comforters (blanky etc) and THEIR blankets, as in what they have been sleeping in for a few nights (so they smell like them).

A camp cupboard would have been great for us. Theres so much more stuff when you go with kids. Like a pantry would have been great, so theres not so much food etc all over the place.
    Relax about it, they'll have a ball and they'll be so tired come night time they should just go to sleep.

For DS's naps (during the day) we just made sure we drove during his ap times so he could sleep (we didnt have a payback stroller).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    First off... totally jealous of everyone going camping over Easter! We are avid campers.. first time we are missing out in a long time because DH is rostered on over the entire break

Where are you off to? Sounds like somewhere we would go with the no showers/toilets etc!

The kids have been camping since they were small! DD was about 9/10 months the first time we went with kids
    For warmth, I invested in good sleeping bags with low temp ratings (kids & I have minus 8) and I put a thermal blanket inside that when we camp in cold weather. If its freezing I make sure they have a longsleeve singlet under their PJs and they sleep with a beanie.
    We also have the anywhere beds (a little exxy at $119ea for single if you don't camp often, but as I said, we camp all the time so get plenty of use!) and they make a HUGE difference.

Aside from your basics I don't take much for the kids as they just run free! I have some colouring books and those waterpaint books as back up it it rains. And a few balls and bats to play ball games if they want. I find bikes and scooters a hit too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions.

RunningWithScissors, I'm not exactly sure of the location, all I know is that it is on the Murray River (i think). We are going with friends who have been to this location before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took my bubba camping when he was 8 weeks old! Hehe! (he is now 13 weeks so only recently and he was fine)
    OP I know your kids are older so this won't apply but for anyone else who has really little bubs, friends told us to put socks on their hands as they stay on better then mittens inside sleeping bags cause of the elastic. Also, sleep lil bubs in their pram with the rain cover on to hold in the heat (as long as it's open well at the bottom for ventilation!)
    We also have a change table top which sits on the top of a porta cot and it made changing sooooo easy.
    I love camping!!! Enjoy your trip!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In even more jealous now Camping along the Murray is my favourite
    Theres so many gorgeous spots!
    Use sunblock up there.. Even if its cool it still seems to fry you up easily!