+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TimTamsandTea is offline ...if only all relationships were so perfectly sweet!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Have you taken your child/children to the circus?

If no, would you?
    If yes, what was your experience? What circus was it?

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I can't wait to take DS to Cirque Du Soleil when he is a little older. He is fascinated with circus performances (adagio etc) and he recently completed a term of circus school (kinder circus), which he adored. I just don't know how he will go for an entire show, or even half a show, so I think I will wait a bit longer. It's definitely a family friendly type of event though, except for a few loud segments here and there.

I won't ever take him to a circus with animals though

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

GothChick  (27-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I won't ever take him to a circus with animals though
    I agree, I will never take my DS to a circus with animals but like Witwicky, think that an acrobatic/perfomance circus would be amazing to take a little one to.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've taken my children to Joseph Ashton's circus - the only animals they have are dogs and ponies. At intermission the kids get pony rides.

As far as I know their dogs and ponies are treated the same as any pet ponies and dogs, so I wasn't concerned about animal cruelty.

It's a family circus and most of the acts are human acrobats, clowns etc...

Apparently there are other Ashton circuses in other states (Joseph Ashton is mostly in WA), and I think their principles are the same.

The kids loved it. It had a real family feel to it.

circus joseph ashton

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have been to silvers circus a few times and the kids love it! The boys have been 18mo, 3, 4, 5, 6 yo when they have gone and at all stages they have loved it. St different ages they got different things from it. The bright lights and action keeps them interested.

At silvers it's about 2 x 45 min sessions with a intermission in between for fairy floss and all that. They have portable toilets as well.

From memory the cost wasn't too bad (just can't remember!). It was just getting expensive as they wanted show bags, and junk food, etc

Silvers come around regularly every year and they go around the state and assume around the country as well. It's all just acrobatics and it's pretty cool! They have a matinee and evening sessions. We always went to the matinees as there were less people.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah we went to Silvers too, dd1 begged to go to the circus for months so when they came to our area we took them.

It was around the $100 mark for a family ticket, maybe a bit less. fairy floss was $4 for a pre-packed bag... lots of portaloos, no animals apart from a horse and some dogs playing soccer I have to say in the main the acts were fairly high quality, but a lot of it went over the kids heads (3 & 4)

My main beef was the noise level. The last performance involved 3 motorbikes riding inside a sphere (very impressive) but we actually could barely hear the noise of the three engines over the music. It was ear-splitting, I wouldn't take them again because of that.

Oh and it bugged me being pestered to buy swords/programs/choc-tops/have a photo taken etc, they really really push the merchandise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I haven't, but only because the ones I've seen have caged animals.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I took DD to a small three person circus on the weekend (never anything with animals in it). It was great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No yet, but we certainly will be visiting the circus when he is older. None with animals, of course. We aren't evil

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted View Post
    No yet, but we certainly will be visiting the circus when he is older. None with animals, of course. We aren't evil
    Same here !