+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Getting a little fed up with eczema, Feeling very overwhelmed lately.

Alright so dd has had eczema, the first sign of it showed up a day after she was born, it was all over her back and over her head. We had a pediatric doctor come in and a dermatologist who said it was Eczema.
    Told me to use things for sensitive skin ect and that was all really.

She is now 14 months old and so far our journey on finding her some relief has been strained.

She has the eczema on her head, chest, on the tops of her hands and feet.

I think I have looked up countless things on the Internet, read all different types of books ect

She has been allergy tested, we have seen 3 different dermatologists, a naturopath and many many general GPs.

Allergy test showed up nothing, dermatologists just gave us steroid creams and tested the areas for infections (all came back clear)
    The naturopath had her on a elimination diet of Milk and Gluten, after about 6 moths of that we took her off it because we seen no change, but the gluten however does seem to make it a bit more itchy so we stick away from that.

Right now she takes Cod liver oil, probiotics, and a multivitamin.
    In the shower we use QV bath oil or Pinetarsol if its very red and itchy.
    Out of the shower we use a mix of a heavy white moisturizer with oatmeal that our dermatologist made up for us. We apply alovera about 3-6 times a day.
    Not to mention every other cream we have tried so far, we haven't tired them all yet lol.

She does have steroid cream, that seems to help ALOT but then in the 2 week break it flares up like no tomorrow.
    I HATE using the steroid cream on her... But I don't like to see her in pain, itching and stinging. So I end up using to to give her some comfort.

I know what works for one might not work for another... But I'm willing to try anything just to see if we have found that special routine to help minimize or control the eczema in some way.

Please If anyone can share any type of advise, recommend a cream or product, a diet, anything I'm all ears!!
    Or even just how to cope?

My daughter has it on her head and it hard when we're out because people have said some very nasty things to me about it.. They act like she is contagious and it breaks my heart that I'm the only one that can see past her "Rash"

I appreciate and thank any replies in advance.

Daughter> 03/02/2011

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have heard a clean, plant based diet, lots of raw foods, chia seeds, smoothies and juices is a cure. I have my children on this diet. We suppliment iron, have them on high dose of probiotics too. Skin conditions start in the gut, they also think its because the liver is having a hard time processing. I'm a firm believer in finding the root of the problem not using a cover up, but it's not for everyone. I use to have chronic asthma but I'm cured through a clean plant based diet, it amazes me that a diet can fix a lung condition...

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hazelwood necklace may help, it did wonders on my nephew.

Just make sure to buy from a proper seller

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel your pain OP. It's a horrid battle. Scan through some past threads in this section, there are lots of suggestions. It can be disheartening though when someone else's miracle cure is another fail for you. My DS suffers and I don't know what the triggers are. He's had allergy testing which showed nothing up, I'm yet to go down the elimination diet path as at present I'm battling other issues (sleep aargh!).

The only over the counter natural product I've had a little success with is Caroline's Cream.

Good luck, hopefully she'll outgrow it - most little ones do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like you do all the same things as us. Only thing that keeps my DD's eczema under control is the cortisone creams. We use them twice a day for 10 days and then have a 4 day break. By the 4th day she's starting to get little cracks under her ears, her eyes are sore and her wrists and feet are rashy again, but it does clear up quickly. I recently found out that the amount of cream I was using was probably not enough. I'll see if I can find the source and link it for you.
    When it's been really bad, wet wraps have helped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS eczema is hereditary so nothing but steroids works.

I try to have long breaks between but that doesn't always work.

Sorry not much help I tried pretty much everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.allergy.org.au/images/sto..._plan_2008.pdf

Here's the link I mentioned. Down the left is a chart that shows how much cortisone cream you should be using- I was using it very sparingly, but since using the quantities in the chart we've had an improvement and don't need to use it for the whole 10 days before having a break.

My friend's DD has severe eczema and has been hospitalized several times because it's been so bad. They wet wrap often and use a whole tube of advantan on her body twice a day when they are on the creams. She's a very tiny two year old.

For us, using the creams generously and breaking from them when DD's skin is completely clear has been great for breaking the cycle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD1 had eczema and we went through the whole allergy tests, steroid cream etc and she grew out of it. So there is hope your bub will do that too . David Hoskings cream did help with DD1, so if you wanted to google that.

I'm sorry people are making comments about her eczema, that's awful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, we found keeping DD dressed in cooler clothes helped, but having a fan on in her room at night was drying out her skin too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much to every who has replied.

It means a lot To me that you have taken the time to be able to tell me what works for you.

From reading your stories, I don't think I'm applying enough moisturizer, we put it on so many time through out the day that I was trying to use little amounts to make the tube last longer.. I will start putting more on.

We do try to keep her nails trim, we clip them once a week and file them every second day or so because once there is even just that little bit of growth on her nails her face and chest gets ripped apart I can't blame her... Being itchy like that must be horrible.

It's hard some days to stick to the routine of, creams very hour, changing her clothes frequently, vacuuming the house every day incase the trigger is dust mites, or dog hair.
    Making sure she has all her supplements, washing her sheets and pillow because every second day they have blood on it, or flakes of skin.
    It's hard to stay consistent every single day and there are days I don't put cream on enough, or forget her probiotic.. And then it's a night mare for a few days... I'm sure as a lot of you know... It's exhausting!

I'm just grateful she isn't like other children who end up in hospital ect. That must be so heart braking.

I will try the things you all have suggested, and look at the links ect.
    Thank you so much!
    I very much appreciate it.