+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Possible MC on crinone, anyone?

I'm wondering if anyone has had anything to do with a MC whilst on Crinone Prolonged Release Vaginal gel?

Thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone? I've been on it for nearly three weeks and have found some nasty 'clumps' that from googling seem totally normal but have me freaked about it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How often do you clean out the crinone? Are the clumps different to the crinone residue?

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's exactly what I've just found out! I had no idea I had to 'clean out' the residue YUCK! After nearly three weeks of it I found dark clumps when I wiped and *TMI* investigated and found large clumps of it and the closer to my cervix the darker it got. Does this mean I have been bleeding the whole time? Waiting for FS to open but they never mentioned this to me at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    FSs and FNs never do mention cleaning it out. One BH report says their FS expected it to all absorb! (impossible)

The discolouration indicates you have been spotting slightly. Even though you don't like to think about bleeding at all in pregnancy, it's not that unusual (even in healthy pregnancies). The placenta invading a healthy blood-rich endometrium is almost certain to draw blood at times. Then it's really just a matter of whether the blood makes it out the cervix or not.
    If you were doing more bleeding like AF then it would be just like any other AF, except with the bits of crinone added to it until it was all washed out.

I found that 2 crinone a day (7am and 7pm) increased my progesterone by 30-35, which is supposed to be enough to keep AF away (to stop the endometrium breaking down). It isn't quite high enough for me, so I start spotting between 30 and 35, and start bleeding probably around 25-30 (on an IVF stim cycle. I expect it's a little different on a natural cycle). My boobs stop being sore around 40. (All little things you can learn to use to estimate progesterone levels or to judge if it's rising or falling.) When I got UTD my prog jumped to about 600 at 5 wks (I had many more than 1 follicle that cycle, and they are all making progesterone in response to placental hCG), so I didn't need extra crinone to retain my endometrium and keep AF away.

Have a browse of the leaflet that comes with it. I'll summarise a bit now.
    Progesterone is responsible for keeping your endometrium intact and keeping AF away.
    Progesterone dissolves best in oil. Crinone is a combination of oil-based and water-based product. Only a tiny bit of progesterone dissolves in the water-based portion. You absorb the little bit from the water-based portion, and it is continually replenished by the bulk which is stored in the oil-based portion.
    Crinone also contains a polymer that swells up in contact with water (i.e. moist vagina), but does not dissolve. It resembles cottage cheese or paper-mache-made-from-tissues. This is the residue. As you've just learned it helps to clean out the residue. It made no difference to my progesterone levels if I cleaned it out twice a day (in the shower immediately before the next application) or once every two days. My first cycle I didn't clean it out (didn't know to until clumps started falling out) and AF didn't stay away, so I think too much residue might interfere with proper absorption.

Crinone and pessaries can irritate the cervix and/or vagina, so a little bloody discolouration may not be from your uterus at all. I did not have irritation issues whenever I used it, but everyone's different.

If you're worried about miscarriage due to low progesterone start by getting a blood test for progesterone. If it's high enough then AF will stay away (though there may be other reasons for bleeding). If it's too low then add in additional methods of progesterone support like using progesterone pessaries as suppositories and taking oral progesterone.

Good luck.
    Last edited by felicita; 27-03-2012 at 13:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for your wonderful help, I really appreciate it felicita, you have no idea! It all makes perfect sense.

I called my FS and the nurse said it was normal to have some pink spotting daily with the discharge of the excess 'carrier' either a creamy discharge or cottage cheese type clumps. She said it should clear itself about every four days but from the info I've read I think I'll be doing that myself to be sure it's cleared to give me maximum chance of absorbency. She said the clumps can be from white to stained black, I've had the whole range and I guess that is to be expected when there has been nearly three weeks worth there *yuck!*.

I have no idea what my progesterone levels are. I live hours away from FS so GP ordered the HCG and progesterone levels and unfortunately the prog levels were taken on a CD21 test rather than a preg one (the FS nurse said when I called about the numbers). She said the FS had seen the results but didn't request any further BTs.

I feel reassured by your comments about it not keeping AF or MC away. I on one a day. I must have read and re-read the phamplet a dozen times looking for the details about the clumping, they really need to put that in!

Thank you again, best of love and luck with your precious bubbas.