+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nightmares... my 3 year old is having nightmares almost every night!

My DD is having nightmares and coming into our bed every night.

She has never been a great sleeper, mostly my fault rocking her to sleep being my first of three. We have to sit by her bed after reading her a story until she falls asleep. She has a very extensive imagination, and some of the things she talks about are amazing, and slightly scary!

About two months ago she was sleeping right through every night, and then it all went pear shape after that. She is not the best person to sleep with, legs and arms spread everyone and most night a kick in the head would definitely happen...lol

If anyone has any advice I would love to hear.

I have a 17 month old boy who is a great sleeper, 6 times out of 7 days. Only usually teething being a problem. I have a 3 month old girl who is beautiful and happy, sleeping well too. So it's only my eldest who I need help with.

Hope to hear from someone as I need all the help I can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I read in a book that if young children get nightmares, eliminating tv fixes the problem within a few days in most kids. I'd have to pull out all my books to find which one said it, so I can't tell you which book it was. I think it said tv stimulates a little too much imagination in some kids or something like that.I don't know if I've helped, maybe you could trial it for a few days, but you'd have to be really organised with activities or be out alot to avoid all tv, movies etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My now 5 year old DD started having night terrors at about 3 yrs old. We find that if she is too hot in bed or unwell she will get them without fail.

We have taken to keeping the heating set to 16 degrees over night (it hardly ever comes on) and removing her blankets once she's asleep will generally be enough, although on warm nights we have her use a sheet instead of dooms and wear thin cotton pjs instead of flannelette.

As for sitting with her til she's asleep, I still do that most nights with both DDs.. 5 and 3 yrs. They're asleep much faster than if I try to leave them to go to sleep alone.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD1 used to get nightmares when she was eating additives that she was sensitive to. Since we cleaned up her diet - no more nightmares.
    I used this list of additives