+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Starting solids..

Hi everyone! My little one has only just turned 3 months, so in my opinion is not ready for any kind of solids at the moment. Plus he still has his tongue reflex so obviously isn't ready. But a friend of mine whos baby is 3 months also has been started on solids already.. My question is for those who have started their babies on solids before the recommendation of 4 months and what were your reasons for doing so? My MIL is pushing me to start the little man on farex ( which i dont want to ) she tried to make me give it to him when he was only 6 weeks!!! My mother on the other hand wants me to wait till he is 4 months ( i am going to wait till 4 months as i asked ou doc and she said to wait )

So i want to hear from those who did start their babies on solids before 4 months, and why you chose to make that decision. I have heard a few people with babies have started a little early but i had the impression it 'could' stuff them up so to speak?

Sorry im a new mum and i have no idea about all this stuff.

Thankyou in advance xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ya

Yes I am interested to hear the answer to this as my MIL & NIL were asking me the other day if my DS had started rice cereal & I said no that the recommendation is 4 - 6 months & they were both saying how it used to be 3 months & didn't see why there was a problem. I said that I was told 6 months & only really 4 months if it was a hungry baby.

It always annoys me when parents say 'in my day we did this way & you turned out ok' I just have to say to them 'well they obviously changed the rules for a reason, so just because I was ok doesn't mean that everyone else was ok'

Thanks
    Reviews
    I highly recommend looking into baby led weaning (BLW). It's a great and natural way to do solids, and your baby decides when they are ready to eat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The current recommendations by the World Health Organisation is to wait til 6 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My baby boy was from day dot always a very hungry baby. So much to the point that breastmilk simply was not enough to fill him and I had to give it up after 4 weeks. He also was able to support his head quite early and could sit in a high chair from 3 months of age. Because of this I decided to just try him on some rice cereal at about 14 weeks of age and he was able to eat it and enjoyed it alot. I think it doesnt hurt to try but I am a great believer letting your baby decide on whens the right time. You just have to be aware of the signs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We gave DD some rice cereal when she was about a week shy of 4months.
    DD was very interested in us eating early on (watched us like a hawk & leaned forward) & she didn't really have the reflex then, as far as I could tell. She is a big bub & is fairly hungry too. DD has had a very strong neck since birth, & could sit (when placed in a seated position) unaided from about 3months.

Kept her on just baby rice cereal mixed with EBM for a few weeks, just a bit (a few tea-spoonfuls) in the evening after her milk feed. We didn't force it on her, once she got bored or grizzly we stopped offering it.

Then we started offering pureed fruit & veggies which she really gets into now. Still breastfed fully, just offering a bit of food for fun so she feels included in family meals (DD gets upset if we don't, quite understandable!!). Now she is over 6months we're giving her fingers of toast or bits of food she can hang onto & gum at if she wants to. And we let her play with a spoon & bowl/plate too.

If you don't feel that your DS is ready, then wait to give him solids. Don't let anyone push you into it. If bub isn't ready then shoving a spoon in isn't good for them. And farex is gross - tastes & looks like soggy cardboard, I wouldn't bother with it. DD wasn't a fan & I barely used it.
    As the PPs have said - leave it to bub to decide, just watch your DS for clues on what he wants to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Dragon View Post
    We gave DD some rice cereal when she was about a week shy of 4months.
    DD was very interested in us eating early on (watched us like a hawk & leaned forward) & she didn't really have the reflex then, as far as I could tell. She is a big bub & is fairly hungry too. DD has had a very strong neck since birth, & could sit (when placed in a seated position) unaided from about 3months.

Kept her on just baby rice cereal mixed with EBM for a few weeks, just a bit (a few tea-spoonfuls) in the evening after her milk feed. We didn't force it on her, once she got bored or grizzly we stopped offering it.

Then we started offering pureed fruit & veggies which she really gets into now. Still breastfed fully, just offering a bit of food for fun so she feels included in family meals (DD gets upset if we don't, quite understandable!!). Now she is over 6months we're giving her fingers of toast or bits of food she can hang onto & gum at if she wants to. And we let her play with a spoon & bowl/plate too.

If you don't feel that your DS is ready, then wait to give him solids. Don't let anyone push you into it. If bub isn't ready then shoving a spoon in isn't good for them. And farex is gross - tastes & looks like soggy cardboard, I wouldn't bother with it. DD wasn't a fan & I barely used it.
    As the PPs have said - leave it to bub to decide, just watch your DS for clues on what he wants to do.
    This is basically what i did. DS was amost 4 months when he grabbed my chicken one night . I knew it was time...we started on rice cereal with EBM and he LOVED it right form the start!! He was a pro at eating by the time he was 5 months, he had eaten apple, pear, pumpkin, carrot and even baby yogurt! He LOVES his food

Listen to you mummy instincts, trust me YOU'LLl know when bub is ready! If you dont think hes ready, hes probably not...DONT get pressured by family members to do something your not comfortable with. A 'i dont feel hes ready yet' is a great phrase to use if there is someone pressuring you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou all so much for the replies.. Really appreciate it.

As for the signs? What can i watch out for? I have noticed that when we are eating he will stare us down and looking very keen to eat some haha. He was an almost 9 pound baby, and is already 7.5kg at 12 weeks last week when we weighed him. He is also eating every 3 hours. Love my chubba bubba.
    And i am curious - did starting rice cereal or starting solids help your bubbas sleep a little longer at night? MIL believes if i give bub farex he will sleep right through... I am only getting up once a night and that is pretty good if you ask me!! I dont mind getting up but i wanted to know if that theory was true for you guys????

xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jennibear View Post
    This is basically what i did. DS was amost 4 months when he grabbed my chicken one night . I knew it was time...we started on rice cereal with EBM and he LOVED it right form the start!! He was a pro at eating by the time he was 5 months, he had eaten apple, pear, pumpkin, carrot and even baby yogurt! He LOVES his food

Listen to you mummy instincts, trust me YOU'LLl know when bub is ready! If you dont think hes ready, hes probably not...DONT get pressured by family members to do something your not comfortable with. A 'i dont feel hes ready yet' is a great phrase to use if there is someone pressuring you.
    Did it help your bub sleep better? The MIL insists if i give baby farex he will sleep alllll night long without waking up.. he wakes once a night btw. LOL

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    With both my kids solids did not help them sleep better. I found they both had a huge sleep regression at 4-5 months old, but then slowly started to improve around 7 months old.
    I think you just need to follow your babies lead. When they start grabbing at your food, imitating your chewing, showing interest in those eating around them then it is the right time to offer them food. Some take to it really well, some like to take their time.
    Unfortunately some kids just aren't ready to sleep through for a while. There is so much external pressure to having babies sleeping overnight, but in reality they are programmed to. Don't let anyone pressure you op!