+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Comp Feeding - Advice needed!

At the suggestion of the CHN, due to slow weight gain, I am trialling comp feeding with my 10 week old DD. I’m not overly comfortable with it, but DH was keen to give it a go so We are trialling it for a week just to see how she responds and whether it affects her weight. 2 days to go! So far no real dramas, however... she is having several more wet/dirty nappies a day and throws up alot more and not always from the formula.
    Is this sort of thing normal? I am thinking that with the increased amount of wet nappies she may not need the extra bottle (we are only topping up with 1 bottle over the course of the day after a BF). Having said that she always guzzles it down with gusto!!
    Any advice in relation to comp feeding would be greatly appreciated!

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If you wish to keep breastfeeding in the long term, perhaps look into the SNS system, as the baby will still be stimulating your nipples while feeding, so your supply will still be being stimulated even though bub is getting formula.

Video about SNS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKJnUdsjplU

Supplemental feeding due to low supply can often lead to losing your breastmilk supply all together

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    Supplemental feeding due to low supply can often lead to losing your breastmilk supply all together
    Thats exactly what I am afraid of!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If you are aware of it, and take pains to put the baby to the breast as much as humanly possible 24/7 carry bubin a sling by the breast and allow 24/7 acccess you probably won't have a problem, it is mostly women who are not aware of the possibility who will accidentally supplement too much, and not stimulate their nipples enough to keep supply up.
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 26-03-2012 at 17:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    SHe is 10 weeks. I feed on demand and generally as much as possible, I even express a couple of times a day to help stimulate flow. However it she still has slow weight gain

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Do you co-sleep and feed often during the night? babies who sleep close to their mums tend to waken to feed more often than those who sleep apart.

Exactly HOW low is her weight gain? there are different charts for formula and breast fed babies, do a google, and make sure she has been placed on the correct chart. BF babies often are leaner than formula bubs...

Here is some good reading material on the subject:

http://kellymom.com/health/growth/weight-gain_increase/

http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain/
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 26-03-2012 at 17:31.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Ellies Mum  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't co-sleep (not against it, just not comfortable with it). and she usually only wakes for 1 feed at night. On average it is about 50gms a week. As I type this reply.... I have just changed her 14th nappy fr the day!!! That sort makes me think she doesnt really need it!