+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default strollers - fancy or not so fancy?

Hi all,

I'm not expecting twins but will have two DS's 12 months apart so thought I'd post my question here.

We have bought a Valco twin tri-mode stroller to use once DS2 arrives but now I'm rethinking it a bit. It weighs almost 18kg and I'm worried I won't be able to lift it out of the boot easily and that it's too bulky for going around the shops. I love that it has air-filled tyres so we can go walking on rough ground and it will be good for big family days out to the zoo etc but I'm wondering if a simple umbrella-style stroller would be better for trips to shopping centres when I'm more likely to be on my own and therefore have to do the heavy lifting and pushing?

What do you think?

bgbgbb is offline To think, I was only going to have 1 child!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had 4 kids who were all 18 months apart from each other and 2 years ago I had twins, so I consider myself a bit of an expert here!

I'd recommend going to somewhere like a big Baby Bunting and trying out everything you can. If possible, borrow a friend's 2 year old. Every pram is push-able when you have a newborn and a one year old, but once you get 2 & 3 year olds in them, that 17kg pram is going to supporting upwards of 25kg in kids, and that can be mighty hard when you've got to push that uphill or haul up a stair or two with a bit of shopping on board as well.

Personally, I have 2 double prams: a very light jogger pram for outdoor walking. Even with a 3 and 4 year old in it, it feels like air to push. Then a more car-friendly, twin pram for shopping centres, that although is a bit heavier to push, it's great for carrying shopping, fits my change-bag on it perfectly (a very important factor) and is not as heavy to push on smooth floors.

Also, look at the re-sale value as some pricier twin prams do re-sell for a decent amount (baby jogger's are good for this). Best of luck!

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing for ideas

bgbgbb, what brands are your two strollers?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing for ideas

bgbgbb is offline To think, I was only going to have 1 child!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by swizzlestick View Post
    Subscribing for ideas

bgbgbb, what brands are your two strollers?
    My shopping centre is Baby Jogger City Select (double) and I have a Baby Jogger twin jogging pram (quite old but still brilliant) for outdoors. We also have an ABC Mountain Buggy with the 3rd seat on top, but that is pretty heavy to push, despite the convenience of being able to put the 4yo up in a seat when she invariably gets tired.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a Bugaboo Donkey, it's great for the seat combo's and versitility (I can take one bub out with me and leave the other home with DH and the pram turns into a single with a shopping basket where the 2nd seat goes..

But to be honest it's too over the top and heavy and you need a fairly big car to put it in, I would prefer a Baby Jogger Double. Side by sides are fab though, I do love them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a peg perego duette, it is rather heavy and you need a large car but I love they various seating positions and the steering wheel makes it so easy to push