+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Confirmation

Well the time has come, and dd wants to be Confirmed. She will be 9 at the time and it is a pretty big decision but she really wants to.

I need a Sponsor for her, though. How do you choose? I thought I chose a good God Mother for her, someone I had known for years, but she has not seen dd since '08 and never seems keen, always has reasons not to catch up despite not working (school age kids) and living nearby.

So how do you ensure the person you choose is the right person?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nobody knows the future and people and things change, but I always go with my gut instinct on choosing people for important things.

I look at my wedding picture at the wedding party and am pleased to say that all those photographed therein are still playing major roles in our lives.

Chosen on gut instinct.

I remember my confirmation sponsor and I can tell you that it was in church that day which was one of the last times I saw her.

As it turns out, it didn't matter because when I entered adulthood I found other, more appropriate spiritual mentors.

I wouldn't be sweating it too much, just go with the person you most think fits the bill at this time.

That's all you can do I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would just pick someone you know that goes to church regularly. The sponser doesn't really do a lot but it is best to have a regular church goer.
    DD2 is making her first communion/confirmation this year and I'll ask her Godmother.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ask her who she wants.

Both my godchildren were given naming days as babies and then ended up going to catholic school and decided they wants to be baptized so they could do all the things their classmates were doing religiously.

In the meantime I had met and married DH. Of all their godparents none of us were catholic but DH was raised catholic so he and I became their catholic godparents.

They both chose him to be their sponsor when they were confirmed which was really nice and validating for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    She wants her god mother, but that won't happen. My gut hasno clue either. My little bro is an irresponsible git, my other bro is a moron, I really have no clue

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had my mother for my children. Do you have a good relationship with your mum? I never choose friends for things like this for the simple fact ppl change and aren't always in our lives yet family will always be family if that makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum can't, she is Atheist and not baptised. The Sponsor needs to be baptised Catholic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I would choose someone she respects in your local church. Someone you respect and trust. That is what I did anyhow many moons ago.

I think it better to go with someone that isn't family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was confirmed I had my Godmother but she is who I would have chosen had I a choice!

Have you a friend who your DD is close to? I think your DD and sponsor need to have a connection, I remember feeling very proud and loved walking up to be confirmed with my sponsor by my side!

Can you be her sponsor? I think you can actually!