+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsTiggyWinkle View Post
    Do you have a pump? I found with both my girls that when i pumped off 20-30mls before a feed, they were a lot more settled... However both of them turned out to have allergies/intolerances of dairy, and I often wonder if I had eliminated that from my diet whether it would have been easier... Do you have any family history of allergies/intolerances?

The other thing i did was see a good infant chiro, with dd2... she was a shocking sleeper and feeder but she was much more settled after we saw him. she didn't sleep from 2wks old til about 8 wks... i was exhausted... i have heard similar things said about osteopaths...

A warm bath can help with wind pains, or a warm wheatbag, just like if you had period pain...

i feel your pain tho, its soooo hard to cope when they are that unsettled.
    my husband is lactose intolerant, there is no other history of lactose intolerance in either family. she wont settle in the swing or in the rocker. we try holding her but she just bangs her head against our chests and snorts, sucks and screams.

will try somethings that were suggested and see if it helps.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well just in case you haven't heard it said, i have been told by several health professionals that if one or both the parents are the 'allergic' type, then their children are more likely to be. Both DH & I have allergies/intolerances, and both our kids have it too.

I would suggest that if your husband is LI, then you giving up dairy and/or soy for a month or 6 weeks would be a good starting point. I'm no expert but i have read it several times on here that it takes 2 weeks for the dairy to clear your system and another 2 for it to clear your baby's system, so it can take up to 4 weeks before you see any difference.

Whatever you decide to do, i hope things get easier for you real soon, and if you decide to go dairy free, i'm happy to help out with menu suggestions and some nice treat recipes (I have a KILLER chocolate brownie recipe ) Just PM me if you need anything

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do you feed on one breast per feed or do you do two? If you have a lot of milk I'd suggest feeding one breast each feed. Bubs might be getting too much foremilk. Which would cause the gassiness and not becoming full.
    I had the same probs with DD also thought it was allergies (had mucuosy poo too etc)
    I feed DD one breast for two hours as in use that one breast whenever she needs to feed in a two hour span.

Baby wearing, co-sleeping, booby feeding mummy to one

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Etienne For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd also recommend either a lactation consultant or a breastfeeding clinic to check your DD's latch, just in case. I thought my DS was feeding well because he stayed on for ages, but turns out he wasn't sucking properly, and was burning more energy from constant sucking then he was getting from the milk. Banging head and snorting sounds like hungry to me.
    Good luck. Get as much help as you can... it will pass, as hard as it seems right now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
    Do you feed on one breast per feed or do you do two? If you have a lot of milk I'd suggest feeding one breast each feed. Bubs might be getting too much foremilk. Which would cause the gassiness and not becoming full.
    I had the same probs with DD also thought it was allergies (had mucuosy poo too etc)
    I feed DD one breast for two hours as in use that one breast whenever she needs to feed in a two hour span.

Baby wearing, co-sleeping, booby feeding mummy to one
    And also with the too much foremilk thing, leaning back as far as you can means bub gets more hindmilk. Does that make sense? As in laying down at a 45 degree angle and bub feeding on top. Then making sure after a feed bub is upright for at least half an hour...

Goodluck, I'd say 7 days would be a bit early to go looking at medical problems (though always best to get them checked by a professional) their gut take a lil while to get used to milk...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and another thing, call the ABA they are terrific with advice and you can email them too if it's easier...

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum was always telling me that newborn bubs need to be burped for quite a while after a feed. Sometimes it'd take 30mins of holding DD upright at my shoulder. It gets easier.

Look up Harvey Karp's "happiest baby on the block" on YouTube. His settling techniques helped us a lot. Especially the shooshing!

Also a dummy works wonders. I resisted for 2 weeks because the books say they're bad but they've been great for DD!