+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 7 day old WON'T settle. really need help. it's driving me insane!

so as the title says my 7 day old wont settle. she stays awake for hours at times and just screams when she doesnt get boobs. when she gets boobs she stays quiet for a minute or two but then screams while feeding, kicks me like crazy and scrunches herself up in a ball. also when she latches on its like i never feed her, she sucks so hard and breaths really fast.

im at a loss. i have no idea what to do. we have tried everything. we now have her sleeping in the bed with us because she wont sleep in her bassinet.

please any help would be great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i know its had but id say shes still hungry. It can take a good month for you to have enough milk for her.
    I know 'they' say not to give a dummy, but i did and had no problems.

She also sounds windy. This is the WORST part of newborns, they cant seem to get their wind up. Hold her upright in a sling as much as possible. Go out for a walk with her in a sling and when she falls asleep, put her down in her basinette!

Put a shirt of your husbands (one hes worn all day) in the basinette for a couple of hours. his will make the bed smell familar (not of mum cos she'll expect a feed).

Hang in there. Feed her as much as she needs, your doing great!! Newborns are HARD!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Sounds like wind to me.

They often want to fed more when they have it.

Pulling her legs up/crunching up in a ball is a good sign that is what it is.

Try these ideas and see if they help.

*Put her over your shoulder with her tummy on your arm/shoulder joint and gentle tap her on her bum.

* put on your knees and rock them side to side

* lay her on her back and gently massage her tummy

* lay her on her back and make her legs do circles like she is on a bike.

* warm bath and gentle massage.

* a dummy can help

Feel free to pm if none of these helps. Some times helps just to talk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    she feeds for nearly 2 hours sometimes but throws up then wants more i have a huge milk supply there is no problem there (milk came in early and im always leaking)

thanks for the replies. will try those. i hope something works cos i cant keep doing this.

yeah she does fart ALOT
    Last edited by MonkeySeeMonkeyDo; 26-03-2012 at 14:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by mummyandbubby View Post
    she feeds for nearly 2 hours sometimes but throws up then wants more i have a huge milk supply there is no problem there (milk came in early and im always leaking)

thanks for the replies. will try those. i hope something works cos i cant keep doing this.

yeah she does fart ALOT
    Ahh farting a lot means that it is wind. The tummy pain is wind working it way through to be the fart. Mine always bring up a lot and that is ok. It better to come out the mouth than the bum IYKIM.

Try burping for a bit longer and see how it goes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was like this and he had quite bad reflux, the CHN assured me it wasn't because he was so young but his breath always smelt like acid and he was so upset. Have you got a swing? She might settle in there or like PP suggested, a warm bath, leg cycles and massage. Good luck, I hope she settles for you soon.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi mummyandbubby, it is all normal. 7 day old, !! bub has only just arrived here, and they all take some time to learn how to fit into this being out of the womb stuff. I would go to a maternal clinic, speak with a midwife or nurse. You can see you have plenty of milk, but bub could have wind, could still have some mucus in the gut from before being born, there could be something you are eating that doesnt agree with bub, bub could even just want to be held more. This is very early days, dont stress, but do call for help if you need. Not all bubs just eat and sleep, some need a bit more work. hugs, Marie.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Do you have a pump? I found with both my girls that when i pumped off 20-30mls before a feed, they were a lot more settled... However both of them turned out to have allergies/intolerances of dairy, and I often wonder if I had eliminated that from my diet whether it would have been easier... Do you have any family history of allergies/intolerances?

The other thing i did was see a good infant chiro, with dd2... she was a shocking sleeper and feeder but she was much more settled after we saw him. she didn't sleep from 2wks old til about 8 wks... i was exhausted... i have heard similar things said about osteopaths...

A warm bath can help with wind pains, or a warm wheatbag, just like if you had period pain...

i feel your pain tho, its soooo hard to cope when they are that unsettled.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like wind to me too. A lot of newborns are very windy and they often mistake the feeling as being hungry. She won't want to lie down because it makes it worse. Try a carrier like a hugabub, this will keep her upright and close to you, which will help with wind.

The rest is just riding it out unfortunately. It is very normal for a newborn to be windy, I'd say a good 40-60% of bubs are. It's a hard time, but just know that it will get better and it's only a short time of having to hold them ALL the time! It feels like forever when you're going through it, but it will end