+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The bottom line is always $$$. The reality is that SAHM's don't pay taxes...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I just wanted to say that I was a SAHM for 3 years and was always supportive of things like paid maternity leave.

I often feel left out, too. I feel left out that I can't volunteer at my DS' school, I feel left out because I'm too busy to see my friends enough, I feel left out that I work long hours but don't get paid much because a lot of it is eaten up by before/after school care fees, I cry myself to sleep because sometimes I miss out on things like the school sports day and picking him up from school and it not being a mad rush to get dinner on and get him ready for bed

While I feel being a working mum is hard, I don't ever want to see anything taken away from SAHMs. I feel they deserve the baby bonus and FTB but please, please acknowledge that working mums ALSO work hard and deserve rewards for their hard work not only in the workforce but for also doing the majority of child care and housework. I'd say this is why they are proposing nanny rebates.
    I agree with this, but also with everything said. I've been both, kinda. I had 12 months off maternity leave, most of the time it was paid between governement PPL, and my work anual leave and some PML. But as I've gone back to work I find it hard too. We only get the minimum rebate on part B only so am thinking any help from the government may not be enough to keep me at work after #2 is born so may become a SAHM. DH earns just enough for us to not be considered for FTB A or B so unless my work gives me a huge pay rise (some years not getting any) then I have no incentive to go back to work.
    I don't mind being either working mum or SAHM but think parents/families in general need more governement support. So any bonus is a good bonus, just wish it was across the board.

Guest Guest
    Can someone link the new rebate for nannies (if it's new?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a SAHM & I agree with the nanny rebate. If I ever had to go back to work, I love the thought that my children could be looked after at home, by 1 person.

I have also thought before that SAHM should have some kind of superannuation sceme. Being out of the workforce for any amount of time does put us at a finabcial disadvantage. We do well living on one income, but there certainly isn't much leftover. Whilke DP & I plan on staying together, I understand that any number of things could change that, & I do feel vulnerable.

I know some would say I should get a job, but with 4 children childcare fees would far outwiegh my earning capacity.

I think all mothers should be supported to raise their families, however thay choose to do that. I just find it sad that as soon as one "side" gets something, everyone gets defensive instead of support each other, no matter what our decisions. Women face scutiny over whether you work or not from society as a whole, we don't need to turn on each other as well.

PS those last comments were not directed at anything said in this thread, just a general comment at what I have witnessed for years.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sakabla For This Useful Post:

delirium  (26-03-2012),HouseOfFun  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I agree, I'd love to see something done to help SAHMs with superannuation and some of the other inconsistencies in this regard. I don't think that giving a family who works a rebate as assistance equals saying "stuff you" to another group of families where one is at home and doesn't require nanny assistance. Just as I don't think increasing the workers minimum wage = stuff you to the unemployed.

Believe me, we're going to need nannies once Tony Abbott is PM as he's a huge fan of AWAs - so none of this 8.30 - 5 pm business We're gonna need all the help we can get!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

share a book  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Currently as a SAHM it would be nice to have something extra coming in as times are becoming tough, however as I will be going back to work in a few months with 2 kids this time round, any additional rebates or incentives that will assist my family are welcome.

And perhaps it allow me to work less days (I worked full-time when my daughter was young) and have more time at home with the kids so there is a better work/life balance. Being a SAHM isn't feasible for our family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Why does there have to be such a divide between working mums and SAHMs? Surely ANYTHING the government does to help mums and children is a good thing. Providing working mums with the option of being able to afford a nanny surely is fanastic.

Those who need/want to work have more childcare options, more flexibility and the option of one-on-one care for their child - WIN!

The ability to compete on a somewhat level playing field with your childless co-workers and not be "the one who always leaves bang on 5.30 to collect her child from daycare" - WIN!

If as a SAHM you want to use daycare there will be more places available - WIN!

If as a SAHM you never want to put your child in daycare or use a nanny and you are fortunate enough to be able to do that - what everyone else does is completely irrelevant - WIN!

What exactly do you want the government to give you OP? Some sort of non-means-tested SAHM payment? As a full-time working mum I'd be absolutely all for it! I think all SAHMs do a fantastic, unenviable job and should be paid accordingly
    Last edited by shelle65; 26-03-2012 at 15:04.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Benji  (26-03-2012),MissMuppet  (26-03-2012)

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    Can someone link the new rebate for nannies (if it's new?)
    Anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    Why does there have to be such a divide between working mums and SAHMs? Surely ANYTHING the government does to help mums and children is a good thing. Providing working mums with the option of being able to afford a nanny surely is fanastic.

Those who need/want to work have more childcare options, more flexibility and the option of one-on-one care for their child - WIN!

The ability to compete on a somewhat level playing field with your childless co-workers and not be "the one who always leaves bang on 5.30 to collect her child from daycare" - WIN!

If as a SAHM you want to use daycare there will be more places available - WIN!

If as a SAHM you never want to put your child in daycare or use a nanny and you are fortunate enough to be able to do that - what everyone else does is completely irrelevant - WIN!

What exactly do you want the government to give you OP? Some sort of non-means-tested SAHM payment? As a full-time working mum I'd be absolutely all for it! I think all SAHMs do a fantastic, unenviable job and should be paid accordingly
    I agree, I think it is great the govt. are helping working mothers out and I am a SAHM.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    Anyone?
    Nah, just a vote-grabber so far.