+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tony abbott - rebates for nannies... Any stay at home mums feel left out??

I totally respect every mothers right to work, but I'm getting fed up with the governments apparent obsession with getting all mothers back into the workforce. Isn't a full time mum still the gold standard for young children or did I miss the memo on some breakthrough research that says our kids would be better off with a nanny and mum and dad at work? Where are the incentives for families who manage on one income so their kids can have mum or dad at home full time? Am I the only one who feels left out? Maybe the pollies think the full time mums vote is not important. Maybe we can't find our way to the polling booth?
    And what about mum who takes a few years off to raise kids? How does paid maternity leave or rebates for nannies help them back into the workforce? If you just take a year or so off you have maternity leave, flexible working options, maybe in future rebate toward a nanny. You take a few years off getting a flexible job around school / childcare is damn hard. What are they doing to help us? Nothing. The message is take too long off to raise your kids you'll never get a fullfilling job again. No wonder new mums are getting older.
    grrr rant over :-)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Freyamum For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't really think that this is an attack on stay at home parents, but an attempt to help women who already work and have children with the expenses.

I know that paying 50% of my wage on child care wasn't bl00dy fun, so anything that can help working mothers deal with the work-life family balance is a good thing.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (26-03-2012),Guest654  (26-03-2012),Jakois  (26-03-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (27-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (26-03-2012),tootiredtosleep  (27-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    More women working = more income tax revenue.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MumDadBoyandGirl For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (26-03-2012),Gothel  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree there seems to be a lot of pressure to work, and to not be a SAHM.
    It does appear to be very undervalued and somewhat looked down upon.
    But the flip side is that the best place for mums is at home which could be seen as being quite out of date and sexist, so at least it is somewhat progressive that women are encouraged to work.

I don't know, I don't have any major insights or answers! lol
    But I saw this in the news today too, and it is tricky.

I think perhaps our society is moving towards particular standards of life, expectations and values that require the double income and there are political and economic reasons for the government to promote that.
    But that isn't in the best interests of children and families.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't see it as a dig for SAHM's either. Any rebates for CC or nannies is good for me! And I think giving a rebate for nannies shows that they acknowledge that long day care may not be the best option for child care.
    What extra incentives for SAHMs would you propose? I dont get any sort of tax benefit so I don't know, but don't families get FTB A and/or B? Not to mention the baby bonus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Childcare, whether that nannies, long daycare, family daycare, is a work related expense. It's not like a sahm needs to hire a child minder, so it is not an unavoidable expense.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (26-03-2012),Jakois  (26-03-2012),NancyBlackett  (26-03-2012),shelle65  (26-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hear you. DH & I are fortunate to able to get by with 1 income (we always wanted & planned for this). I'm happy being a SAHM & can't imagine working so I could pay someone to raise my kids for me. I do worry about my superanuation being eroded by fees & no deposits and feel that the govt should address that issue at least to the equivalent effort they put towards mums who return to work. I'm not getting a child care rebate or paid parental leave, how about the equivalent $ into my super? I have no idea what options I'll have when it's time to get back into the workforce. I haven't had my last baby yet so it's a long way off.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to beccacino For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (27-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I hear your frustration, but the system aims to provide women the opportunity for options, stressing the word options here because this is the bottom line. Many women still find they don't have options.

Ok so you choose​ to have children therefore the sacrifices that come alOng with that, BUT it's almost always women who 'have to' while men have far more choice.

I don't necessarily agree with subsidising nannies, but do think there needs to be more daycare options, not just long day care but also half day care as many people do not want long day care for young children
    Last edited by Ellewood; 26-03-2012 at 14:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I just wanted to say that I was a SAHM for 3 years and was always supportive of things like paid maternity leave.

I often feel left out, too. I feel left out that I can't volunteer at my DS' school, I feel left out because I'm too busy to see my friends enough, I feel left out that I work long hours but don't get paid much because a lot of it is eaten up by before/after school care fees, I cry myself to sleep because sometimes I miss out on things like the school sports day and picking him up from school and it not being a mad rush to get dinner on and get him ready for bed

While I feel being a working mum is hard, I don't ever want to see anything taken away from SAHMs. I feel they deserve the baby bonus and FTB but please, please acknowledge that working mums ALSO work hard and deserve rewards for their hard work not only in the workforce but for also doing the majority of child care and housework. I'd say this is why they are proposing nanny rebates.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (26-03-2012),CupidsVictim  (27-03-2012),delirium  (26-03-2012),Ellewood  (26-03-2012),rainbow road  (26-03-2012),shelle65  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wish there was more incentive to stay home. I hate having to go to work 3 days a week and leave my babies at daycare. Makes me want to cry every single time I drop them off and I'll never get over it.

But without the rebates we'd be screwed. So I'm all for them.