+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Can you have a laugh at yourself?

Can you take a joke and laugh about yourself? Ie, I'm of Irish heritage - my father is Irish. The whole world knows all the Irish jokes that are out there. And I really don't give a toss! I laugh at them too!

I'm not a "tough" guy, and people crack jokes about that too at times. I laugh it off and play up to it. Same goes for being involved in theatre.

What about yourself? Are you blonde? Gay? Different race? Can you take a joke about those things or do you take everything seriously?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes i believe i can most of the time. When i was blonde i'd laugh about blonde jokes, or admit if i was having a 'blonde moment'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Uhm I'm blonde and must say that I try and come up with blonde jokes that are funnier than the one just told to me by a brunette or a red head.

I guess I can be a little serious sometimes but for the most part I try and be lighthearted about things. My opinions can be 'different' at times and I have been slaughtered for them but it doesn't effect me I guess. I take it with a grain of salt. I've reached a stage where I am so comfortable with who I am (took me a VERY long time to get there) that it doesn't matter to me what someone should say about me. I am who I am and I make no excuses for it.

I'm Uruguyan too so I get the "Oh you-are-gay" thing a lot but if anything I find it funny rather than offensive. It's Homer Simpsons fault .. he started it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely! I'm incredibly clumsy. I find it hysterical. I've always been a fan of slapstick.

If I didn't laugh at myself I'd be missing out on a heap of comic relief. Since I'm present for all of my blunders, idiotic moments and foot in mouth incidents I figure I'm the best placed to laugh at them.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

GluttonForPunishment  (26-03-2012),Shoopuf  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Depending, of course, the context....I most certainly can! Me and dh often go back and forth with the Kiwi/Aussie banter. And I get 'picked on' for being a Jesus freak. Oh and with 6 kids I'm a breeder so get picked on for that. I'm also part polish and married someone part German (my ex) so that was a butt of some jokes right there LOL

All in good humour of course. I recognise a joke when I hear one amongst friends

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a 'ranga' who is incredibly clumsy (4 broken arms and a sprained ankle in the space of 3 years!) so I have to be able to have a laugh at myself! Hubby loves teasing me so I am immune to it now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Love laughing at other Asians if that counts. Lol. But yes whenever I do something stupid or embarrassing in public i'll laugh at myself and get it done and over with. Especially that one time when I was about to sit down in a crowded food court and missed the chair. Landed on my butt and DH couldn't keep a straight face. Neither could I.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi, I dont take anything too seriously. I think it comes easier with advancing age, you get comfortable with who you are, and what you can or cant do. Even my grandson (5 yrs old) has to show me how to play angry birds. hahaha, Marie.

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, I'd like to think so. I was always the class clown, and my repertoire mainly involved around taking the p!ss out of myself. (Often it is an act of self preservation, I'm sure)

I also happen to find myself absolutely hilarious, so I tend to giggle from my own jokes, silliness and general stupidity.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MuminMind For This Useful Post:

chameleon  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What is it with blonde jokes! Am so sick of hearing I am dumb & silly RAARRR!

Nah, if I got grumpy every time I heard a blonde joke I'd be the most miserable person ever! You need to be able to laugh at yourself. Life is too short to be serious all the time!!

I am a natural blonde so heard lots of blonde jokes. Told a few myself too lol!

And I'm of English descent & DF is of Scottish & Irish... so we joke about him being a barbarian & me being civilised and pay each other out about it. We're also gamers so will play up to the stereotype for fun at times.